* `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-06 21:05 Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-11-06 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I've now finally added a framework for meaningfully yanking
non-plain-text selections into Emacs.  The only mode that supports it
yet is message-mode, but look:

[-- Attachment #2: Type: image/png, Size: 148090 bytes --]

Here I yanked an image from Chromium.   The system works!  🤩

(See the manual(s) for details.)

Other obvious modes is html-mode (for text/html and images) and
... image-mode?  I guess?  The latter could perhaps just prompt for a
file name and save it (and then display it).

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-06 23:09 ` H. Dieter Wilhelm
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: H. Dieter Wilhelm @ 2021-11-06 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I've now finally added a framework for meaningfully yanking
> non-plain-text selections into Emacs.

Finally fantastic, thank you very much, I waited for this!

> The only mode that supports it
> yet is message-mode, but look:
> Here I yanked an image from Chromium.   The system works!  🤩
> (See the manual(s) for details.)
> Other obvious modes is html-mode (for text/html and images) and
> ... image-mode?  I guess?  The latter could perhaps just prompt for a
> file name and save it (and then display it).

My hope is that it could also replace packages like
org-attach-screenshot (on Melpa, for bringing images faster into an
LaTeX export, for example).

        Dieter
--
Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-07  1:23 ` T.V Raman
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: T.V Raman @ 2021-11-07  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 695 bytes --]

org-mode where it turns into some kind of image link perhaps?
> I've now finally added a framework for meaningfully yanking
> non-plain-text selections into Emacs.  The only mode that supports it
> yet is message-mode, but look:
>

> Here I yanked an image from Chromium.   The system works!  •0Ï5
>
> (See the manual(s) for details.)
>
> Other obvious modes is html-mode (for text/html and images) and
> ... image-mode?  I guess?  The latter could perhaps just prompt for a
> file name and save it (and then display it).

7©4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  •0Ü8

* RE: [External] : Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-07  3:05   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2021-11-07  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H. Dieter Wilhelm, Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> > I've now finally added a framework for meaningfully yanking
> > non-plain-text selections into Emacs.
>
> Finally fantastic, thank you very much, I waited for this!

Somewhat related (not media, but not text-yanking either):

* With `highlight.el', you can copy (`M-w' on the highlight
  keymap) text properties from some text and yank (`C-y' on
  the same keymap) them onto some other text.

* With Bookmark+ you can copy (`c' in the bookmark-tags
  keymap) and yank/paste tags from one bookmark to others
  - either paste-adding (`p') or paste-replacing (`q').

(You can also do those things with a mouse.)

The general idea of copy/paste could no doubt be put to
advantage in yet more ways in Emacs.  Copy something from
something and add it to, or replace, something in
something else.

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-07 10:02 ` Eli Zaretskii
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-11-07 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 22:05:06 +0100
>
> I've now finally added a framework for meaningfully yanking
> non-plain-text selections into Emacs.  The only mode that supports it
> yet is message-mode, but look:
>
> Other obvious modes is html-mode (for text/html and images) and
> ... image-mode?  I guess?  The latter could perhaps just prompt for a
> file name and save it (and then display it).

Thanks.

This new command doesn't seem to work for me on MS-Windows: I get this
message:

  user-error: No handler in the current buffer for anything on the clipboard

The documentation doesn't seem to hint that something non-trivial is
needed for this to work.

Also, should this be bound to a key?  Perhaps even C-y?

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-07 13:12   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-11-07 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> This new command doesn't seem to work for me on MS-Windows: I get this
> message:
>
>   user-error: No handler in the current buffer for anything on the clipboard
>
> The documentation doesn't seem to hint that something non-trivial is
> needed for this to work.

I haven't tried this on Windows at all -- I have no idea what the
clipboard stuff looks like over there.  (Or on Macos, but I had planned
on exploring that.)

> Also, should this be bound to a key?  Perhaps even C-y?

There are so few modes that support media yanking that it's premature to
put it on any key, I think.  And certainly not on `C-y' -- that would
break all sorts of things, I think.  (People marking text in a web
browser and hitting `C-y' in a html-mode buffer still expect to get just
the plain text, while `yank-media' will give them more options, like
text/html.)

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-07 13:21     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-11-07 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 14:12:54 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > This new command doesn't seem to work for me on MS-Windows: I get this
> > message:
> >
> >   user-error: No handler in the current buffer for anything on the clipboard
> >
> > The documentation doesn't seem to hint that something non-trivial is
> > needed for this to work.
>
> I haven't tried this on Windows at all -- I have no idea what the
> clipboard stuff looks like over there.  (Or on Macos, but I had planned
> on exploring that.)

What does this require from the clipboard to work?  What are the
assumptions?

> > Also, should this be bound to a key?  Perhaps even C-y?
>
> There are so few modes that support media yanking that it's premature to
> put it on any key, I think.  And certainly not on `C-y' -- that would
> break all sorts of things, I think.  (People marking text in a web
> browser and hitting `C-y' in a html-mode buffer still expect to get just
> the plain text, while `yank-media' will give them more options, like
> text/html.)

AFAIK, that's what "other applications" do: they paste the content
from the clipboard regardless of the type.  Fine-tuned behavior, where
the user can select exactly what he/she wants to past and how, is then
available from a context menu.

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-07 13:32       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-11-07 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Alan Third, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> What does this require from the clipboard to work?  What are the
> assumptions?

It's basically this on GNU/Linux:

(gui-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD 'TARGETS)
=>
[TIMESTAMP TARGETS MULTIPLE SAVE_TARGETS text/html text/_moz_htmlinfo text/_moz_htmlcontext image/png image/jpeg image/bmp image/x-bmp image/x-MS-bmp image/x-icon image/x-ico image/x-win-bitmap image/vnd\.microsoft\.icon application/ico image/ico image/icon text/ico image/tiff]

This lists the available media types.

I've just had a quick peek at what happens in Macos, and it's very
different there.

(gui-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD 'TARGETS)
=> "http"

So gui-get-selection (or rather, ns-get-selection) has to grow support
for this?  I know absolutely nothing about the internals of the
clipboard on Macos, so I've added Alan to the CCs -- perhaps he has some
insights here.  It basically just calls:

static Lisp_Object
ns_get_foreign_selection (Lisp_Object symbol, Lisp_Object target)
{
  id pb;
  pb = ns_symbol_to_pb (symbol);
  return pb != nil ? ns_string_from_pasteboard (pb) : Qnil;
}

Which seems geared towards text/plain only?

I haven't looked at Windows, but I'm guessing it has to grow a similar
set of capabilities.

> AFAIK, that's what "other applications" do: they paste the content
> from the clipboard regardless of the type.  Fine-tuned behavior, where
> the user can select exactly what he/she wants to past and how, is then
> available from a context menu.

Yes, but it would just be too surprising in an Emacs context, in my
opinion.  Changing how something as fundamental as `C-y' works here
would potentially be extremely annoying.

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-07 13:38         ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-11-07 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Alan Third, emacs-devel

> I haven't looked at Windows, but I'm guessing it has to grow a similar
> set of capabilities.

I can't claim to understand how the clipboard works under MS-Windows, or
indeed how Emacs handles the clipboard under X-Windows, but I don't
think it will be easy to emulate the astoundingly overengineered, and
sometimes useful, selection mechanism defined by the ICCCM.  I think
that when trying to put media into a selection, non-X systems tend to
just put a link (such as a filename, or an inode number) to some file
containing the contents of the media into the clipboard as plain text.

AFAIK, though, these other systems just define something similar to cut
buffers.

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-07 13:42         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-11-07 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: alan, emacs-devel

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org>
> Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 14:32:42 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > What does this require from the clipboard to work?  What are the
> > assumptions?
>
> It's basically this on GNU/Linux:
>
> (gui-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD 'TARGETS)
> =>
> [TIMESTAMP TARGETS MULTIPLE SAVE_TARGETS text/html text/_moz_htmlinfo text/_moz_htmlcontext image/png image/jpeg image/bmp image/x-bmp image/x-MS-bmp image/x-icon image/x-ico image/x-win-bitmap image/vnd\.microsoft\.icon application/ico image/ico image/icon text/ico image/tiff]
>
> This lists the available media types.

But those are just the types.  How do we fetch the stuff afterwards?

> I haven't looked at Windows, but I'm guessing it has to grow a similar
> set of capabilities.

The TARGETS thingy is already supported, has been for a long time:

  (gui-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD 'TARGETS)
   =>
   [DataObject text/html HTML\ Format text/_moz_htmlinfo text/_moz_htmlcontext application/x-moz-file-promise-url application/x-moz-file-promise-dest-filename FILE_NAMES Preferred\ DropEffect application/x-moz-nativeimage DIB Ole\ Private\ Data BITMAP nil]

(This is after "Copy Image" in Firefox.)  But I suspect that's not all
of the story.

> > AFAIK, that's what "other applications" do: they paste the content
> > from the clipboard regardless of the type.  Fine-tuned behavior, where
> > the user can select exactly what he/she wants to past and how, is then
> > available from a context menu.
>
> Yes, but it would just be too surprising in an Emacs context, in my
> opinion.  Changing how something as fundamental as `C-y' works here
> would potentially be extremely annoying.

Let's see what others think.

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-07 13:45           ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-11-07 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Alan Third, emacs-devel

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> I think that when trying to put media into a selection, non-X systems
> tend to just put a link (such as a filename, or an inode number) to
> some file containing the contents of the media into the clipboard as
> plain text.

I see.  Well, we can work with that, probably -- does the file typically
contain any metadata that says what it is?  (I.e., whether it's a PNG or
HTML or whatever.)

> AFAIK, though, these other systems just define something similar to cut
> buffers.

What's a cut buffer?

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-07 13:48           ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-11-07 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: alan, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> But those are just the types.  How do we fetch the stuff afterwards?

With

(gui-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD 'image/png)

and then some slight massaging; see yank-media--get-selection.

>> I haven't looked at Windows, but I'm guessing it has to grow a similar
>> set of capabilities.
>
> The TARGETS thingy is already supported, has been for a long time:
>
>   (gui-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD 'TARGETS)
>    =>
>    [DataObject text/html HTML\ Format text/_moz_htmlinfo text/_moz_htmlcontext application/x-moz-file-promise-url application/x-moz-file-promise-dest-filename FILE_NAMES Preferred\ DropEffect application/x-moz-nativeimage DIB Ole\ Private\ Data BITMAP nil]
>
> (This is after "Copy Image" in Firefox.)  But I suspect that's not all
> of the story.

So that's why `yank-media' saying it can't find any matches, because
it's looking for "image/.*" (in Message buffers).

It sounds like application/x-moz-file-promise-dest-filename (or one of
the other ones) might hold the file name where the image is?  Does

(gui-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD 'application/x-moz-file-promise-dest-filename)

return anything?

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-07 13:57             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-11-07 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: alan, emacs-devel

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org,  alan@idiocy.org
> Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 14:48:56 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > But those are just the types.  How do we fetch the stuff afterwards?
>
> With
>
> (gui-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD 'image/png)
>
> and then some slight massaging; see yank-media--get-selection.

I cannot figure out from that code what kind of "data" is expected
from the above call.  For example, if the data in the clipboard is an
image?

> >   (gui-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD 'TARGETS)
> >    =>
> >    [DataObject text/html HTML\ Format text/_moz_htmlinfo text/_moz_htmlcontext application/x-moz-file-promise-url application/x-moz-file-promise-dest-filename FILE_NAMES Preferred\ DropEffect application/x-moz-nativeimage DIB Ole\ Private\ Data BITMAP nil]
> >
> > (This is after "Copy Image" in Firefox.)  But I suspect that's not all
> > of the story.
>
> So that's why `yank-media' saying it can't find any matches, because
> it's looking for "image/.*" (in Message buffers).

Then that's non-portable, because this stuff is not standardized
enough, AFAIK.  We need more layers to hide platforms-specifics, I
think.

> It sounds like application/x-moz-file-promise-dest-filename (or one of
> the other ones) might hold the file name where the image is?  Does
>
> (gui-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD 'application/x-moz-file-promise-dest-filename)
>
> return anything?

I don't expect it to, because I don't see any implementation for
anything but text.

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-07 14:04               ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-11-07 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: alan, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> (gui-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD 'image/png)
>>
>> and then some slight massaging; see yank-media--get-selection.
>
> I cannot figure out from that code what kind of "data" is expected
> from the above call.  For example, if the data in the clipboard is an
> image?

Yes, on GNU/Linux, that call will return a string containing the image
data.

> Then that's non-portable, because this stuff is not standardized
> enough, AFAIK.  We need more layers to hide platforms-specifics, I
> think.

Yup.  (Or rather, non-Linux systems should emulate Linux here somewhat.)

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-11-07 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, alan, emacs-devel

> Yup.  (Or rather, non-Linux systems should emulate Linux here somewhat.)

FWIW, I think this has nothing to do with Linux and works the same under
*BSD, for example,

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-11-07 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: alan, emacs-devel

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 15:04:36 +0100
> Cc: alan@idiocy.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Then that's non-portable, because this stuff is not standardized
> > enough, AFAIK.  We need more layers to hide platforms-specifics, I
> > think.
>
> Yup.  (Or rather, non-Linux systems should emulate Linux here somewhat.)

I don't think this could work, at least not in general.

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-07 14:11                   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-11-07 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, alan, emacs-devel

>> Yup.  (Or rather, non-Linux systems should emulate Linux here somewhat.)
>
> FWIW, I think this has nothing to do with Linux and works the same under
> *BSD, for example,

Ah, right.  Like Po Lu said, it's from ICCCM, i.e., an X Window system
thing?

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-07 14:13                   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-11-07 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: alan, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Yup.  (Or rather, non-Linux systems should emulate Linux here somewhat.)
>
> I don't think this could work, at least not in general.

I don't know -- but it seems like Windows has to put the data somewhere,
right?  So if application/x-moz-file-promise-dest-filename points to the
file with the data, and that file is "some-temp-file.png", then
gui-get-selection ... TARGETS (on Windows) could synthesise an
'image/png TARGET based on that.

That's a lot of ifs, though.  :-)

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-08  0:56             ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-11-08  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Alan Third, emacs-devel

> What's a cut buffer?

The old "selection" mechanism on X-Windows.  See `x-get-cut-buffer',
`x-store-cut-buffer' and friends.

I think these days it's only used by xterm and Emacs and nobody else.

Thanks.

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-08  1:10               ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-11-08  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Alan Third, emacs-devel

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> The old "selection" mechanism on X-Windows.  See `x-get-cut-buffer',
> `x-store-cut-buffer' and friends.
>
> I think these days it's only used by xterm and Emacs and nobody else.

I see...  but it looks like it was removed in 2010?  If I'm grepping
correctly.

2010-09-02  Jan Djärv  <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>

	(x-selection-value): Rename from x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value.
	Update documentation, remove cut-buffer code.

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-08  2:12                 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-11-08  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Alan Third, emacs-devel

>> The old "selection" mechanism on X-Windows.  See `x-get-cut-buffer',
>> `x-store-cut-buffer' and friends.
>>
>> I think these days it's only used by xterm and Emacs and nobody else.

> I see...  but it looks like it was removed in 2010?  If I'm grepping
> correctly.

> 2010-09-02  Jan Djärv  <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>
>
> 	(x-selection-value): Rename from x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value.
> 	Update documentation, remove cut-buffer code.

Hmm, that's `x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value', but it does seem to have
been removed.  I must've missed that.  Thanks for the catch.

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-11-08  3:07 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2021-11-08  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > I've now finally added a framework for meaningfully yanking
  > non-plain-text selections into Emacs.

It sounds exciting -- could you say a little more about how
it behaves?

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-08  4:55   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-11-08  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> It sounds exciting -- could you say a little more about how
> it behaves?

From the manual:

@node Yanking Media
@section Yanking Media

  If you choose, for instance, ``Copy Image'' in a web browser, that
image is put onto the clipboard, and Emacs can access it via
@code{gui-get-selection}.  But in general, inserting image data into
an arbitrary buffer isn't very useful---you can't really do much with
it by default.

  So Emacs has a system to let modes register handlers for these
``complicated'' selections.

@defun yank-media-handler types handler
@var{types} can be a @acronym{MIME} media type symbol, a regexp to
match these, or a list of these symbols and regexps.  For instance:

@example
(yank-media-handler 'text/html #'my-html-handler)
(yank-media-handler "image/.*" #'my-image-handler)
@end example

A mode can register as many handlers as required.

  The @var{handler} function is called with two parameters: The
@acronym{MIME} media type symbol and the data (as a string).  The
handler should then insert the object into the buffer, or save it, or
do whatever is appropriate for the mode.
@end defun

  The @code{yank-media} command will consult the registered handlers in
the current buffer, compare that with the available media types on the
clipboard, and then pass on the matching selection to the handler (if
any).  If there's more than one matching selection, the user is
queried first.

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-11-08  5:09 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-11-08  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I've now also added a `yank-media-types' command -- mostly for
debugging.  It lets people who are thinking about writing handlers
explore what's actually on the clipboard (Firefox, for instance, puts a
surprising amount of useful stuff there).

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-08 14:29   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-11-08 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 06:09:38 +0100
>
> I've now also added a `yank-media-types' command -- mostly for
> debugging.  It lets people who are thinking about writing handlers
> explore what's actually on the clipboard (Firefox, for instance, puts a
> surprising amount of useful stuff there).

This command seems to assume that only the data types which have
support in gui-get-selection are useful.  But that is not necessarily
true for a command that was meant to allow snooping and tinkering.

For example, after copying text from Firefox on MS-Windows, I have:

  (gui-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD 'TARGETS)
    => [DataObject text/html HTML\ Format text/_moz_htmlcontext text/_moz_htmlinfo UTF8_STRING STRING text/x-moz-url-priv Ole\ Private\ Data OEM_STRING]

But "M-x yank-media-types RET" followed by "?" shows just this:

  Possible completions are:
  clipboard:STRING

If this command is supposed to be for exploring the selections, then
perhaps it should produce a table of all the types, and some meta-data
for every supported type?

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-11-08 16:56 ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-11-08 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> "LI" == Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

> I've now finally added a framework for meaningfully yanking
> non-plain-text selections into Emacs.  The only mode that supports it
> yet is message-mode, but look:

Very nice indeed. Candidates were such a feature would be very wellcome.

    1. LaTeX (AuCTex)

    2. Org mode

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-09  3:39     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-11-09  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> This command seems to assume that only the data types which have
> support in gui-get-selection are useful.  But that is not necessarily
> true for a command that was meant to allow snooping and tinkering.
>
> For example, after copying text from Firefox on MS-Windows, I have:
>
>   (gui-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD 'TARGETS)
>     => [DataObject text/html HTML\ Format text/_moz_htmlcontext text/_moz_htmlinfo UTF8_STRING STRING text/x-moz-url-priv Ole\ Private\ Data OEM_STRING]
>
> But "M-x yank-media-types RET" followed by "?" shows just this:
>
>   Possible completions are:
>   clipboard:STRING

Yeah, it filters out the types where `gui-get-selection' doesn't return
anything, because those types aren't useful for people who want to add
handlers to the modes.  But I could make (for instance) the prefix not
do any filtering and show everything.

OK, added now.

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-23 23:42         ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2021-11-23 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On Sun, Nov 07, 2021 at 02:32:42PM +0100, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > What does this require from the clipboard to work?  What are the
> > assumptions?
>
> It's basically this on GNU/Linux:
>
> (gui-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD 'TARGETS)
> =>
> [TIMESTAMP TARGETS MULTIPLE SAVE_TARGETS text/html text/_moz_htmlinfo text/_moz_htmlcontext image/png image/jpeg image/bmp image/x-bmp image/x-MS-bmp image/x-icon image/x-ico image/x-win-bitmap image/vnd\.microsoft\.icon application/ico image/ico image/icon text/ico image/tiff]
>
> This lists the available media types.
>
> I've just had a quick peek at what happens in Macos, and it's very
> different there.
>
> (gui-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD 'TARGETS)
> => "http"
>
> So gui-get-selection (or rather, ns-get-selection) has to grow support
> for this?

I think the attached should sort this.

It doesn't seem to do much on GNUstep, I suspect GNUstep itself
doesn't support copying of much more than plain text.

--
Alan Third

[-- Attachment #2: 0001-Enable-yank-media-on-NS.patch --]
[-- Type: text/x-diff, Size: 4125 bytes --]

From 2606ecbed8df134370aed4c40215cf6928cb3215 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 20:56:44 +0000
Subject: [PATCH] Enable yank-media on NS

* src/nsselect.m (ns_get_foreign_selection): Handle non-plain text
clipboard entries.
(ns_string_from_pasteboard): Remove EOL conversion.
(syms_of_nsselect): Define QTARGETS.
---
 src/nsselect.m | 80 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--

diff --git a/src/nsselect.m b/src/nsselect.m
index 5ab3ef77fe..e999835014 100644
--- a/src/nsselect.m
+++ b/src/nsselect.m
@@ -215,9 +215,74 @@ Updated by Christian Limpach (chris@nice.ch)
 static Lisp_Object
 ns_get_foreign_selection (Lisp_Object symbol, Lisp_Object target)
 {
+  NSDictionary<NSString *, NSString *> *typeLookup;
   id pb;
   pb = ns_symbol_to_pb (symbol);
-  return pb != nil ? ns_string_from_pasteboard (pb) : Qnil;
+
+  /* Dictionary for looking up NS types from MIME types, and vice versa.  */
+  typeLookup
+    = [NSDictionary
+           dictionaryWithObjectsAndKeys:
+             @"text/plain",        NSPasteboardTypeURL,
+#if NS_USE_NSPasteboardTypeFileURL
+             @"text/plain",        NSPasteboardTypeFileURL,
+#else
+             @"text/plain",        NSFilenamesPboardType,
+#endif
+             @"text/html",         NSPasteboardTypeHTML,
+             @"text/plain",        NSPasteboardTypeMultipleTextSelection,
+             @"application/pdf",   NSPasteboardTypePDF,
+             @"image/png",         NSPasteboardTypePNG,
+             @"application/rtf",   NSPasteboardTypeRTF,
+             @"application/rtfd",  NSPasteboardTypeRTFD,
+             @"STRING",            NSPasteboardTypeString,
+             @"text/plain",        NSPasteboardTypeTabularText,
+             @"image/tiff",        NSPasteboardTypeTIFF,
+             nil];
+
+  if (EQ (target, QTARGETS))
+    {
+      NSMutableArray *types = [NSMutableArray arrayWithCapacity:3];
+
+      NSString *type;
+      NSEnumerator *e = [[pb types] objectEnumerator];
+      while (type = [e nextObject])
+        {
+          NSString *val = [typeLookup valueForKey:type];
+          if (val && ! [types containsObject:val])
+            [types addObject:val];
+        }
+
+      Lisp_Object v = Fmake_vector (make_fixnum ([types count]+1), Qnil);
+      ASET (v, 0, QTARGETS);
+
+      for (int i = 0 ; i < [types count] ; i++)
+        ASET (v, i+1, intern ([[types objectAtIndex:i] UTF8String]));
+
+      return v;
+    }
+  else
+    {
+      NSData *d;
+      NSArray *availableTypes;
+      NSString *result, *t;
+
+      if (!NILP (target))
+        availableTypes
+          = [typeLookup allKeysForObject:
+                          [NSString stringWithLispString:SYMBOL_NAME (target)]];
+      else
+        availableTypes = @[NSPasteboardTypeString];
+
+      t = [pb availableTypeFromArray:availableTypes];
+
+      result = [pb stringForType:t];
+      if (result)
+        return [result lispString];
+
+      d = [pb dataForType:t];
+      return make_string ([d bytes], [d length]);
+    }
 }

@@ -234,8 +299,6 @@ Updated by Christian Limpach (chris@nice.ch)
 ns_string_from_pasteboard (id pb)
 {
   NSString *type, *str;
-  const char *utfStr;
-  int length;

   type = [pb availableTypeFromArray: ns_return_types];
   if (type == nil)
@@ -260,6 +323,14 @@ Updated by Christian Limpach (chris@nice.ch)
         }
     }

+  /* FIXME: Is the below EOL conversion even needed?  I've removed it
+     for now so we can see if it causes problems.  */
+  return [str lispString];
+
+#if 0
+  const char *utfStr;
+  int length;
+
   /* assume UTF8 */
   NS_DURING
     {
@@ -294,6 +365,7 @@ Updated by Christian Limpach (chris@nice.ch)
   NS_ENDHANDLER

     return make_string (utfStr, length);
+#endif
 }

@@ -491,6 +563,8 @@ Updated by Christian Limpach (chris@nice.ch)
   DEFSYM (QTEXT, "TEXT");
   DEFSYM (QFILE_NAME, "FILE_NAME");

+  DEFSYM (QTARGETS, "TARGETS");
+
   defsubr (&Sns_disown_selection_internal);
   defsubr (&Sns_get_selection);
   defsubr (&Sns_own_selection_internal);
--
2.33.0

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-24  7:14           ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-11-24  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Third; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> writes:

>> (gui-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD 'TARGETS)
>> => "http"
>>
>> So gui-get-selection (or rather, ns-get-selection) has to grow support
>> for this?
>
> I think the attached should sort this.

Great!  Please go ahead and push to Emacs 29, and I'll do some testing
on Macos, too.

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-24 10:59             ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2021-11-24 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 08:14:36AM +0100, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> writes:
>
> >> (gui-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD 'TARGETS)
> >> => "http"
> >>
> >> So gui-get-selection (or rather, ns-get-selection) has to grow support
> >> for this?
> >
> > I think the attached should sort this.
>
> Great!  Please go ahead and push to Emacs 29, and I'll do some testing
> on Macos, too.

Done. Let me know if it's not doing the right thing, I'm not confident
I understood how this is supposed to work.
--
Alan Third

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-24 16:45               ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-11-24 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Third; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> writes:

> Done. Let me know if it's not doing the right thing, I'm not confident
> I understood how this is supposed to work.

I've now tried it on my Apple laptop, and it seems to work perfectly.
🤗

(I tried yanking images from Firefox and Safari into a Message buffer.)

Now we only need support on the Windows side, and we'll have coverage
from the three major platforms.

Hm...  that reminds me -- I haven't tested this on Wayland.  My guess is
that it won't work there, but that's an uninformed guess.

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-25  0:53                 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-11-25  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Alan Third, Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

> Hm...  that reminds me -- I haven't tested this on Wayland.  My guess is
> that it won't work there, but that's an uninformed guess.

It should work fine, if Emacs runs in Xwayland.

* Re: `M-x yank-media'
@ 2021-11-25 13:37                   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-11-25 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Alan Third, Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

>> Hm...  that reminds me -- I haven't tested this on Wayland.  My guess is
>> that it won't work there, but that's an uninformed guess.
>
> It should work fine, if Emacs runs in Xwayland.

But is that what happens normally?  (It's been so long since I last
messed around with Wayland; I should set up a laptop to use it to
experiment with...)