From: Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com>
To: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
Cc: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>,  emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package xeft.el
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2023 13:38:19 -0600	[thread overview]

On 04 Jan 2023, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>Yuan Fu [2023-01-02 20:11:50] wrote:
>> I wrote xeft.el awhile ago, it allows you to search text notes
>> really fast
>> by using a dynamic module. My initial plan is to somehow plug
>> the dynamic
>> module into Deft some day and I’ll keep xeft to myself. Turns
>> out it’s not
>> very feasible to make Deft use the dynamic module, so now I
>> thought I might
>> as well publish xeft. After all I think it is really cool and I
>> want more
>> people to use it :-)
>>
>> You can find xeft here: https://git.sr.ht/~casouri/xeft
>
>I'm a bit uncomfortable with the way this is set up:
>it's unusable without downloading further code first.

FWIW, I also was uncomfortable with this.  I started to try out
xeft, but then I stopped when it asked me if I wanted to download
a binary package whose provenance wasn't clear to me.

Actually, I tried choosing the 'c' option to 'c'ompile, but that
got a generic error, "Wrong type argument" or something like that.
I couldn't tell what was wrong.  I thought that having certain
Debian packages (xapian-tools, python3-xapian, libxapian30,
libxapian-dev) installed already might mean that xeft would Just
Work, but that wasn't the case.

Best regards,
-Karl