* [patch] vc-annotate-toggle-annotation-visibility, almost
@ 2007-11-04  1:29 Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2007-11-04  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"almost" because i don't see any change w/ `redisplay'
in `vc-annotate-toggle-annotation-visibility'; use of
`force-mode-line-update' is suboptimal.  still investigating.

  * vc.el (vc-annotate-toggle-annotation-visibility): New command.
  (vc-annotate-mode-map): Bind "V" to new command.
  (vc-annotate-mode): Clear buffer-invisibility-spec.
  (vc-annotate-get-time-set-line-props): New func.
  (vc-annotate-display-autoscale, vc-annotate-difference): Use it.
  ("VC Annotate Display Menu"): Add entry for new command.

comments?

thi

*** vc.el	30 Oct 2007 12:43:34 -0000	1.477
--- vc.el	4 Nov 2007 01:17:53 -0000
***************
*** 774,779 ****
--- 774,780 ----
      (define-key m "N" 'vc-annotate-next-revision)
      (define-key m "P" 'vc-annotate-prev-revision)
      (define-key m "W" 'vc-annotate-working-revision)
+     (define-key m "V" 'vc-annotate-toggle-annotation-visibility)
      m)
    "Local keymap used for VC-Annotate mode.")

***************
*** 3132,3142 ****
--- 3133,3158 ----
  You can use the mode-specific menu to alter the time-span of the used
  colors.  See variable `vc-annotate-menu-elements' for customizing the
  menu items."
+   (setq buffer-invisibility-spec nil)
    (set (make-local-variable 'truncate-lines) t)
    (set (make-local-variable 'font-lock-defaults)
         '(vc-annotate-font-lock-keywords t))
    (view-mode 1))

+ (defun vc-annotate-toggle-annotation-visibility ()
+   "Toggle whether or not the annotation is visible."
+   (interactive)
+   (funcall (if (memq 'vc-annotate-annotation buffer-invisibility-spec)
+                'remove-from-invisibility-spec
+              'add-to-invisibility-spec)
+            'vc-annotate-annotation)
+   (when (get-text-property (point) 'invisible)
+     (goto-char (next-single-property-change (point) 'invisible)))
+   ;; FIXME: `redisplay' is ineffectual. --ttn
+   ;; (let ((redisplay-dont-pause t))
+   ;;   (redisplay t))
+   (force-mode-line-update t))
+
  (defun vc-annotate-display-default (ratio)
    "Display the output of \\[vc-annotate] using the default color range.
  The color range is given by `vc-annotate-color-map', scaled by RATIO.
***************
*** 3151,3156 ****
--- 3167,3179 ----
    ;; Since entries should be sorted, we can just use the last one.
    (caar (last color-map)))

+ (defun vc-annotate-get-time-set-line-props ()
+   (let ((bol (point))
+         (date (vc-call-backend vc-annotate-backend 'annotate-time))
+         (inhibit-read-only t))
+     (put-text-property bol (point) 'invisible 'vc-annotate-annotation)
+     date))
+
  (defun vc-annotate-display-autoscale (&optional full)
    "Highlight the output of \\[vc-annotate] using an autoscaled color map.
  Autoscaling means that the map is scaled from the current time to the
***************
*** 3166,3172 ****
      (save-excursion
        (goto-char (point-min))
        (while (not (eobp))
!         (when (setq date (vc-call-backend vc-annotate-backend 'annotate-time))
            (if (> date newest)
                (setq newest date))
            (if (< date oldest)
--- 3189,3195 ----
      (save-excursion
        (goto-char (point-min))
        (while (not (eobp))
!         (when (setq date (vc-annotate-get-time-set-line-props))
            (if (> date newest)
                (setq newest date))
            (if (< date oldest)
***************
*** 3214,3219 ****
--- 3237,3243 ----
       :style toggle :selected
       (eq vc-annotate-display-mode 'fullscale)]
      "--"
+     ["Toggle annotation visibility" vc-annotate-toggle-annotation-visibility]
      ["Annotate previous revision" vc-annotate-prev-revision]
      ["Annotate next revision" vc-annotate-next-revision]
      ["Annotate revision at line" vc-annotate-revision-at-line]
***************
*** 3478,3484 ****
  This calls the backend function annotate-time, and returns the
  difference in days between the time returned and the current time,
  or OFFSET if present."
!    (let ((next-time (vc-call-backend vc-annotate-backend 'annotate-time)))
       (if next-time
  	 (- (or offset
  		(vc-call-backend vc-annotate-backend 'annotate-current-time))
--- 3502,3508 ----
  This calls the backend function annotate-time, and returns the
  difference in days between the time returned and the current time,
  or OFFSET if present."
!    (let ((next-time (vc-annotate-get-time-set-line-props)))
       (if next-time
  	 (- (or offset
  		(vc-call-backend vc-annotate-backend 'annotate-current-time))

* Re: [patch] vc-annotate-toggle-annotation-visibility, almost
@ 2007-11-04  3:13 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-11-04  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> "almost" because i don't see any change w/ `redisplay'
> in `vc-annotate-toggle-annotation-visibility'; use of
> `force-mode-line-update' is suboptimal.  still investigating.

Use of force-mode-line-update doesn't seem particularly bad to me
(assuming it works).

>   You can use the mode-specific menu to alter the time-span of the used
>   colors.  See variable `vc-annotate-menu-elements' for customizing the
>   menu items."
> +   (setq buffer-invisibility-spec nil)
>     (set (make-local-variable 'truncate-lines) t)
>     (set (make-local-variable 'font-lock-defaults)
>          '(vc-annotate-font-lock-keywords t))
>     (view-mode 1))

Why?

> +   (when (get-text-property (point) 'invisible)
> +     (goto-char (next-single-property-change (point) 'invisible)))

What is this for?

We could additionally put commands to print the (invisible) annotation
in the echo-area, and also add a `help-echo' property to the whole
buffer so as to get tooltips that display the (invisible) annotation.

* Re: [patch] vc-annotate-toggle-annotation-visibility, almost
@ 2007-11-04  9:43   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2007-11-04  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

() Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
() Sat, 03 Nov 2007 23:13:29 -0400

   > "almost" because i don't see any change w/ `redisplay'
   > in `vc-annotate-toggle-annotation-visibility'; use of
   > `force-mode-line-update' is suboptimal.  still investigating.

   Use of force-mode-line-update doesn't seem particularly bad to me
   (assuming it works).

prior to `redisplay' being available, i would agree.  but not now.
that `redisplay' doesn't is bug that should be fixed, IMO.

   >   You can use the mode-specific menu to alter the time-span of the used
   >   colors.  See variable `vc-annotate-menu-elements' for customizing the
   >   menu items."
   > +   (setq buffer-invisibility-spec nil)
   >     (set (make-local-variable 'truncate-lines) t)
   >     (set (make-local-variable 'font-lock-defaults)
   >          '(vc-annotate-font-lock-keywords t))
   >     (view-mode 1))

the default buffer-invisibility-spec value is `t', so when
vc-annotate-get-time-set-line-props sets the text property `invisible' to a
non-nil value, the result is that the buffer is initially displayed w/
invisible annotations.  (you would need to toggle it once to see them.)

thanks for pointing this out.  upon review, i think there is a better way:

  ;; Frob buffer-invisibility-spec so that if it is originally a naked t,
  ;; it will become a list, to avoid initial annotations being invisible.
  (add-to-invisibility-spec 'foo)
  (remove-from-invisibility-spec 'foo)

   > +   (when (get-text-property (point) 'invisible)
   > +     (goto-char (next-single-property-change (point) 'invisible)))

   What is this for?

effect "edge-triggered intangible".  however, it's not necessary (and
in fact somtimes leaves point one further than expected).  removed.

   We could additionally put commands to print the (invisible) annotation
   in the echo-area, and also add a `help-echo' property to the whole
   buffer so as to get tooltips that display the (invisible) annotation.

yes, but that's outside the scope of this patch.

thi