* 23.0.60; html-mode syntactic fontification error at line 164
@ 2008-04-19 22:24 Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-04-19 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

This is a rather strange fontification error. Sometimes lines after a
certain line or the last part of the line itself gets fontified as
strings (which is incorrect) and sometimes not. I do not believe I am
able to make a simple example of this. Instead I have put up a copy of
the file where I saw it on the web:

   http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/html-syntactic-err-l164.html

To reproduce the error download this file, start Emacs with

   emacs -Q

open the file (switch to html-mode if it is not opened in html-mode) and
go to line 164. There can be a little bit different errors, but the most
common is that the lines below this line are fontified as string. I
found right now that if I do

   M-g g 164

then I see the error above. However if I scroll down line by line to
line 164 then the fontification is ok.

For other versions of misfontification I am not sure how to reproduce
them at the moment.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
  of 2008-04-19 on LENNART-69DE564
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/g/include -fno-crossjumping'

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: ENU
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: cp1252
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: XHTML

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   global-auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

* Re: 23.0.60; html-mode syntactic fontification error at line 164
@ 2008-04-27 21:28 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-04-27 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
> This is a rather strange fontification error. Sometimes lines after a
> certain line or the last part of the line itself gets fontified as
> strings (which is incorrect) and sometimes not. I do not believe I am
> able to make a simple example of this. Instead I have put up a copy of
> the file where I saw it on the web:
>
>   http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/html-syntactic-err-l164.html
>
> To reproduce the error download this file, start Emacs with
>
>   emacs -Q
>
> open the file (switch to html-mode if it is not opened in html-mode) and
> go to line 164. There can be a little bit different errors, but the most
> common is that the lines below this line are fontified as string. I
> found right now that if I do
>
>   M-g g 164
>
> then I see the error above. However if I scroll down line by line to
> line 164 then the fontification is ok.
>
> For other versions of misfontification I am not sure how to reproduce
> them at the moment.

I think that this problem is related to > characters that are not part
of a tag. parse-partial-sexp can return negative values for parent depth
when it find such character.

* Re: 23.0.60; html-mode syntactic fontification error at line 164
@ 2008-04-27 21:39   ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2008-04-27 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
> I think that this problem is related to > characters that are not part
> of a tag.

Such characters make the file invalid HTML, so it is not surprising that
fontification fails from that point.

* Re: 23.0.60; html-mode syntactic fontification error at line 164
@ 2008-04-27 21:56     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-04-27 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

Jason Rumney wrote:
> Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
>> I think that this problem is related to > characters that are not part
>> of a tag.
>
> Such characters make the file invalid HTML, so it is not surprising that
> fontification fails from that point.

I thought that you could use > but not <.

And I see that nxml-mode does not complain about single >.

* Re: 23.0.60; html-mode syntactic fontification error at line 164
@ 2008-04-27 23:51       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-04-27 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, Jason Rumney

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
> I thought that you could use > but not <.
>
> And I see that nxml-mode does not complain about single >.

That would be just about the only thing nxml-mode doesn't complain about
... :-)

[Not complaining, mind you!  Since I've started using nxml-mode, my html
always validates perfectly on the first try... why isn't it the default
anyway?  :-]

-Miles

--
Dawn, n. When men of reason go to bed.