* Ruby-mode in emacs
@ 2008-05-26 17:44 Paul R
From: Paul R @ 2008-05-26 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: zn

Hi emacs list, hi Kazuhiro,

Ruby-mode[1] has been developed in ruby svn repository since the
beginning. It is mature and works reliably. I have some minor patches
for it, and I spent some time figuring out where to send them.
Rubymode is supposed to have an homepage on rubygarden, but this host
seems to be down for 2 weeks now, so I can't reach it at the moment.
In the source files there is no author email address. Kazuhiro, I
found your email in a svn log.

Would you guys agree to find some room in emacs trunk for ruby mode ?
We already have a python-mode and a perl-mode (may the holy spirit
save us from having a php-mode ;).

It is probably a more natural place for an emacs mode than in the ruby
svn, and it would maybe help casual contributors to find their way.

Thanks,

[1] http://svn.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/trunk/misc/

--
      Paul

* Re: Ruby-mode in emacs
@ 2008-05-26 20:17 ` Phil Hagelberg
From: Phil Hagelberg @ 2008-05-26 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: zn, Paul R

Paul R <paul.r.ml@gmail.com> writes:

> It is probably a more natural place for an emacs mode than in the ruby
> svn, and it would maybe help casual contributors to find their way.

Actually, the Ruby developers have already offered it to be included in
Emacs: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-06/msg00051.html
It looks like there are a few things that still need to be done
according to Richard:

> > To make this program understandable and maintainable, please give
> > every defconst and every defun a doc string that explains what jobs
> > they do.  Large functions such as ruby-calculate-indent need a comment
> > to explain every group of lines.  Maintaining Emacs is hard already,
> > and if we don't want to make it harder, we need to ensure that new
> > files are really clear.
> >
> > It would also be good to add comments at the top of the file
> > decribing the features that the mode provides.
> >
> >     (cond
> >      ((featurep 'font-lock)
> >       (or (boundp 'font-lock-variable-name-face)
> >           (setq font-lock-variable-name-face font-lock-type-face))
> >
> >       (setq ruby-font-lock-syntactic-keywords
> >
> > Please delete that cond, and put all the contents at top level.

I'll see what I can do about documentation. I suppose I should start by
submitting patches to the ruby repository until it's ready to go into
Emacs. It would make me very happy to get this in by the release of 23.

-Phil

* Re: Ruby-mode in emacs
@ 2008-05-26 20:21 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-05-26 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Paul R; +Cc: zn, emacs-devel

> Ruby-mode[1] has been developed in ruby svn repository since the
> beginning. It is mature and works reliably. I have some minor patches
> for it, and I spent some time figuring out where to send them.
> Rubymode is supposed to have an homepage on rubygarden, but this host
> seems to be down for 2 weeks now, so I can't reach it at the moment.
> In the source files there is no author email address. Kazuhiro, I
> found your email in a svn log.

> Would you guys agree to find some room in emacs trunk for ruby mode ?
> We already have a python-mode and a perl-mode (may the holy spirit
> save us from having a php-mode ;).

That would be fine by me, but of course, we need as usual to track down
the contributors and get their copyright assignment.

* Re: Ruby-mode in emacs
@ 2008-05-26 20:30   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-05-26 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Phil Hagelberg; +Cc: zn, Paul R, emacs-devel

Phil Hagelberg <phil@hagelb.org> writes:

> Actually, the Ruby developers have already offered it to be included in
> Emacs: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-06/msg00051.html
> It looks like there are a few things that still need to be done
> according to Richard

Indeed.  The process, unfortunately, seems to have stalled.  I just
contacted the developers, and hopefully we can speed this process
through.

* Re: Ruby-mode in emacs
@ 2008-05-27  1:45     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-05-27  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: zn, Paul R, Phil Hagelberg, emacs-devel

Chong Yidong wrote:

> Phil Hagelberg <phil@hagelb.org> writes:
>
>> Actually, the Ruby developers have already offered it to be included in
>> Emacs: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-06/msg00051.html
>> It looks like there are a few things that still need to be done
>> according to Richard
>
> Indeed.  The process, unfortunately, seems to have stalled.  I just
> contacted the developers, and hopefully we can speed this process
> through.

Here's the text of the last email I sent, back in November. I had no
reply. The process stalled due to two problems the Ruby developers
had. I hope you have better luck. (I no longer have time to do the
comments.)

   Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote (on Mon, 29 Oct 2007 at 18:02 +0900):

   > * there were other contributers in past, but we can't contact them
   > now.

   Richard Stallman said that if the two of you are willing to sign
   assignments, we can ask a lawyer whether we need to worry about
   unknown authors. Can you estimate how much code these other
   contributors wrote (in total, and per author)?

   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-10/msg00364.html

   > * detail comment for all functions is tough.

   I would be willing to do all this work, if the legal issues can be
   sorted out.

* Re: Ruby-mode in emacs
@ 2008-05-27  4:56     ` Phil Hagelberg
From: Phil Hagelberg @ 2008-05-27  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: zn, Paul R, emacs-devel

> Phil Hagelberg <phil@hagelb.org> writes:
>
>> Actually, the Ruby developers have already offered it to be included in
>> Emacs: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-06/msg00051.html
>> It looks like there are a few things that still need to be done
>> according to Richard
>
> Indeed.  The process, unfortunately, seems to have stalled.  I just
> contacted the developers, and hopefully we can speed this process
> through.

Could you give me the addresses of the ruby developers you contacted so
I can coordinate documentation efforts with them?

Thanks,
Phil

* Re: Ruby-mode in emacs
@ 2008-05-27  7:53       ` Paul R
From: Paul R @ 2008-05-27  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Phil Hagelberg; +Cc: zn, Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

Phil Hagelberg <phil@hagelb.org> writes:

> Could you give me the addresses of the ruby developers you contacted so
> I can coordinate documentation efforts with them?

You can count me to volunteer some time in this process, just let me
know.

--
      Paul