* Release branch schedule
@ 2011-09-25  0:44 Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2011-09-25  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: mh-e-devel

Hi Chong,

Were you planning on cutting a branch when you make the first pretest,
or are you planning to cut the pretests from the trunk each time? In
other words, will trunk be open for business after the first pretest or
not until after the final release?

--
Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> aka <Bill.Wohler@nasa.gov>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/

* Re: Release branch schedule
@ 2011-09-25  0:56 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-09-25  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: mh-e-devel

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

> Were you planning on cutting a branch when you make the first pretest,
> or are you planning to cut the pretests from the trunk each time?

We will make pretests from the trunk, with a tag for each pretest.

> will trunk be open for business after the first pretest

Yes.

* Re: Release branch schedule
@ 2011-09-25  2:30   ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2011-09-25  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: mh-e-devel, emacs-devel

Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:

> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:
>
> > Were you planning on cutting a branch when you make the first pretest,
> > or are you planning to cut the pretests from the trunk each time?
>
> We will make pretests from the trunk, with a tag for each pretest.
>
> > will trunk be open for business after the first pretest
>
> Yes.

By "open for business", I meant adding new, possibly destabilizing,
features. Surely this won't be the case if you're cutting pretests from
the trunk. Right?

--

@ 2011-09-25  3:38     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-09-25  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: mh-e-devel

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

> By "open for business", I meant adding new, possibly destabilizing,
> features. Surely this won't be the case if you're cutting pretests
> from the trunk. Right?

Right, the trunk should continue to be used for bugfixes only.  It will
be opened for general changes only after the release branch is cut,
sometime late in the pretest and shortly before the release.