Richard Stallman writes: > > But the downside is also less than with shipping pure binaries, because > > platforms without shipped native-compiled code will just have a longer > > startup time, but the package will still work. > > Why do you expect this to affect startup time? Are you assuming the > first thing done after downloading the package will beto > native-compile it? Why should that be? Usually a package is either native-compiled on first usage or directly on installation. If it is not native-compiled on installation, the first usage causes a compilation with the results saved into the eln-cache. But I just realized that I had misunderstood the original suggestion: it’s not actually compiled transparently, but needs to be compiled to be usable at all. I’m sorry for misunderstanding the extend of the compilation. ⇒ I was wrong and the policy should be held up. Best wishes, Arne -- Unpolitisch sein heißt politisch sein, ohne es zu merken. draketo.de