* different fonts in different frames are named the same
@ 2003-06-17 17:46 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2003-06-17 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.0.2195)
 of 2003-06-16 on WINSTEINGOLDLAP
--with-msvc (12.00)

I have two frames side by side and they have visibly different fonts
(e.g., one displays bold face and the other does not!), even though
        (frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'font)
returns the same string on both of them.
        (frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'height)
also returns the same number also even though one frame contains
visibly different number of lines (although the frame height in
centimeters would be the same).

When I try S-mouse-1 (mouse-set-font), the actual font does not change,
even though the frame size does.

I am confused - have anyone seen anything like that?
what could be the cause?

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat9 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>

* Re: different fonts in different frames are named the same
@ 2003-06-17 18:57 ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2003-06-17 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.0.2195)
>  of 2003-06-16 on WINSTEINGOLDLAP
> --with-msvc (12.00)
>
> I have two frames side by side and they have visibly different fonts
> (e.g., one displays bold face and the other does not!), even though
>         (frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'font)
> returns the same string on both of them.
>         (frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'height)
> also returns the same number also even though one frame contains
> visibly different number of lines (although the frame height in
> centimeters would be the same).
>
> When I try S-mouse-1 (mouse-set-font), the actual font does not change,
> even though the frame size does.
>
> I am confused - have anyone seen anything like that?
> what could be the cause?

Yes, see the thread "recent emacs font problems?".  It is a bad
interaction
between default font and default face.  I am trying out a solution now,
but there are some bugs.  I expect to checkin something later this week.

	Jan D.

* Re: different fonts in different frames are named the same
@ 2003-06-23 20:07   ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2003-06-23 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: sds

>> When I try S-mouse-1 (mouse-set-font), the actual font does not
>> change,
>> even though the frame size does.
>>
>> I am confused - have anyone seen anything like that?
>> what could be the cause?
>
> Yes, see the thread "recent emacs font problems?".  It is a bad
> interaction
> between default font and default face.  I am trying out a solution now,
> but there are some bugs.  I expect to checkin something later this
> week.

Seems I was a bit optimistic.  There is one big problem.  The default
face is not realized before the first redraw, and by that time the size
of the frame has been determined.  But that is wrong, in the case
one has set some face attributes (for example height) that affects the
size.  Much like the problem described above, but reversed :-)

I have a question.  There is the global definition of the face and
there is the frame local definition.  When a new frame is made, should
the frame local face be initialized from the global face definition?

It is not done until the first redisplay, which is too late.  I am
thinking
of moving this to frame creation time instead.

	Jan D.