* put-text-property slowness
@ 2006-03-23  5:26 Karl Chen
From: Karl Chen @ 2006-03-23  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

When font-lock-support-mode is nil, dired with dired+ takes way
too long on large directories: on the order of many minutes; if I
set font-lock-support-mode to 'jit-lock-mode, then it takes less
than half a second.

So there's an easy workaround but it wasn't easy to find.  From
casual profiling, the issue seems to be the thousands of
`put-text-property' calls in `insert-directory'.

Steps to reproduce:

wget http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/dired+.el/download/dired+.el

[add directory containing dired+.el to load-path]

emacs -q

(require 'dired+)
(setq font-lock-support-mode nil)
(dired "/usr/bin")

--
Karl 2006-03-22 20:03

* RE: put-text-property slowness
@ 2006-03-27 18:39 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-03-27 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

    When font-lock-support-mode is nil, dired with dired+ takes way
    too long on large directories: on the order of many minutes; if I
    set font-lock-support-mode to 'jit-lock-mode, then it takes less
    than half a second.

    So there's an easy workaround but it wasn't easy to find.  From
    casual profiling, the issue seems to be the thousands of
    `put-text-property' calls in `insert-directory'.

    Steps to reproduce:

    wget http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/dired+.el/download/dired+.el

    [add directory containing dired+.el to load-path]

    emacs -q

    (require 'dired+)
    (setq font-lock-support-mode nil)
    (dired "/usr/bin")

Thanks for the report. I'll look into this.

BTW, dired+ is not part of standard Emacs, so this is the wrong place to
post bugs about it. Please post dired+ bugs here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/DiredPlus, or email me directly.
Thanks.

* Re: put-text-property slowness
@ 2006-03-27 23:56   ` Karl Chen
From: Karl Chen @ 2006-03-27 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Developement List

I now realize the problem appears even if not using dired+.  This
is in Emacs HEAD 2006-03-15.

I have GNU coreutils so `insert-directory' gets its definition
from files.el.

Steps to reproduce:

emacs -q

(progn
  (setq font-lock-support-mode nil)
  (dired "/usr/bin"))

--
Karl 2006-03-27 15:52

* Re: put-text-property slowness
@ 2006-03-28  6:34     ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-03-28  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Developement List

Karl Chen <quarl@cs.berkeley.edu> writes:

> I now realize the problem appears even if not using dired+.  This is
> in Emacs HEAD 2006-03-15.

Please update to a newer version and try again.

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the

@ 2006-03-28 10:08       ` Karl Chen
From: Karl Chen @ 2006-03-28 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Developement List

    Romain> Please update to a newer version and try again.

Indeed it works fine now.  What changed?

--
Karl 2006-03-28 02:07

* Re: put-text-property slowness
@ 2006-03-28 10:34         ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-03-28 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Developement List

Karl Chen <quarl@cs.berkeley.edu> writes:

> Indeed it works fine now.  What changed?

Due to an oversight on my part, the snapshot you were using has been
taken in the middle of the `font-lock-extend-region' transition, and
as a result has a few issues with fontification... Sorry about that.