() Stefan Monnier () Sun, 07 Dec 2014 22:23:58 -0500 In other words, any improvement that tries to reduce the redundancy in identifiers will require corresponding improvement in our tools to infer the now-implicit information. Right. Sez Alan Perlis: Wherever there is modularity there is the potential for misunderstanding: Hiding information implies a need to check communication. so the onerous activity here is the "check communication". I would argue that the current FOO- scheme, being merely convention, is actually more needful of inference than the proposed FOO:: scheme. If modularity is directly supported, we (programs and humans, both) can turn from heuristics to algorithms, w/ corresponding reduction in worry and angst that the "check" is incomplete or incoherent. That said, my experience (largely positive) is entirely w/ Guile Scheme modules, and i imagine that Emacs' modules would be similar. I don't know how Common Lisp does it -- maybe someone who knows both systems could post a comparison? -- Thien-Thi Nguyen GPG key: 4C807502 (if you're human and you know it) read my lisp: (responsep (questions 'technical) (not (via 'mailing-list))) => nil