* Wish List: support making *scratch* persistent
@ 2017-10-02 11:01 Robert Inder
From: Robert Inder @ 2017-10-02 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'd like to be able to make the *scratch* buffer persist between sessions.

I realise that it is meant for things I don't want to save.  But every few
months, I get interrupted or distracted, and realise I have quit emacs or
rebooted a machine while there was something significant in *scratch*.  To
know that I wouldn't lose stuff when that happened, I'd happily pay the
price of having to flush the buffer occasionally.

I can't be the only one that is bitten by this from time to time.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a way I could do this -- something I
could put in my .emacs that would link "*scratch*" to a file.
So maybe this is just a documentation problem.

But I often have to use emacs on shared accounts (e.g. root) so I'd like to
think there was a standard/sanctioned way to do what I want.

​Robert.​

--
Robert Inder,                                    0131 229 1052 / 07808 492
213

* Re: Wish List: support making *scratch* persistent
@ 2017-10-02 13:32 ` Robert Weiner
From: Robert Weiner @ 2017-10-02 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Inder; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 7:01 AM, Robert Inder <robert@interactive.co.uk>
wrote:

> I'd like to be able to make the *scratch* buffer persist between sessions.
>
> I realise that it is meant for things I don't want to save.  But every few
> months, I get interrupted or distracted, and realise I have quit emacs or
> rebooted a machine while there was something significant in *scratch*.  To
> know that I wouldn't lose stuff when that happened, I'd happily pay the
> price of having to flush the buffer occasionally.
>
> I can't be the only one that is bitten by this from time to time.

​You are not.  The "persistent-scratch" package available from MELPA does
exactly what you want.  Simply install it and add this to your Emacs
initialization file:

;;; Persistent Scratch - make *scratch* buffer persist across Emacs
invocations
(persistent-scratch-setup-default)

Bob

* Re: Wish List: support making *scratch* persistent
@ 2017-10-03 17:21   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2017-10-03 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rswgnu; +Cc: robert, emacs-devel

  >   The "persistent-scratch" package available from MELPA does
  > exactly what you want.

Would someone like to organize getting legal papers for this package,
so we can include it in Emacs?

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Wish List: support making *scratch* persistent
@ 2017-10-03 17:33     ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2017-10-03 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: fanael4

Richard Stallman writes:

>   >   The "persistent-scratch" package available from MELPA does
>   > exactly what you want.
>
> Would someone like to organize getting legal papers for this
> package, so we can include it in Emacs?

It seems like Fanael Linithien is the sole author. I'm CC'ing them
to know if they are interested.

--
Jorge.

* Re: Wish List: support making *scratch* persistent
@ 2017-10-04 16:07 Fanael Linithien
From: Fanael Linithien @ 2017-10-04 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo, emacs-devel; +Cc: Richard Stallman

<jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu>:
> Richard Stallman writes:
>
>>   >   The "persistent-scratch" package available from MELPA does   >
>> exactly what you want.
>> Would someone like to organize getting legal papers for this package, so
>> we can include it in Emacs?
>

> It seems like Fanael Linithien is the sole author. I'm CC'ing them to know
> if they are interested.

Can you tell me what exactly do I gain from giving up the copyright to
the FSF? My code is free software[1] and I'd prefer it stayed that
way.

[1] That is, under a *sane* definition that precludes source dumps and
other development models not accessible to the general public (like
Emacs, where only the FSF can contribute) from being free software on
the basis that they merely conform to the letter, not the spirit;
being allowed to contribute upstream *is an important freedom* that
you lot conveniently omit in your definition.

* Re: Wish List: support making *scratch* persistent
@ 2017-10-04 23:40 ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2017-10-04 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fanael Linithien; +Cc: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo, Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

> On Oct 5, 2017, at 1:07, Fanael Linithien <fanael4@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Can you tell me what exactly do I gain from giving up the copyright to
> the FSF? My code is free software[1] and I'd prefer it stayed that
> way.

You're not giving up the copyright to the FSF.

You keep the copyright (it's not something you can "give up") and you *give the ability* to protect your free code to the FSF.

Jean-Christophe