* gnus fails to open specific imap server
@ 2024-06-10  9:24 Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2024-06-10  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I have a problem reading email via gnus on the latest emacs (git pulled
today) but which does not occur using emacs-29.3. The settings for both
versions of emacs are identical, as indeed are the versions of gnus
(5.13). Also, the problem only occurs with one particular server:
imap.yandex.com. I have other servers e.g. imap.gmx.com which function
satisfactorily.

On the latest emacs, trying to open imap.yandex.com fails with the
following error:

Warning: Opening nnimap server on yandex...failed: CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1
CHILDREN UNSELECT LITERAL+ NAMESPACE XLIST UIDPLUS ENABLE ID IDLE MOVE;
Quit trying to open server nnimap+yandex; Quit trying to open server
nntp+feedbase

This problems seems to have occurred today, and as I have said, it is
absent from emacs-29.3.

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter.

* Re: gnus fails to open specific imap server
@ 2024-06-10 12:35 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-06-10 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: m43cap; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com>
> Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 10:24:17 +0100
>

> I have a problem reading email via gnus on the latest emacs (git pulled
> today) but which does not occur using emacs-29.3. The settings for both
> versions of emacs are identical, as indeed are the versions of gnus
> (5.13). Also, the problem only occurs with one particular server:
> imap.yandex.com. I have other servers e.g. imap.gmx.com which function
> satisfactorily.
>
> On the latest emacs, trying to open imap.yandex.com fails with the
> following error:

> Warning: Opening nnimap server on yandex...failed: CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1
> CHILDREN UNSELECT LITERAL+ NAMESPACE XLIST UIDPLUS ENABLE ID IDLE MOVE;
> Quit trying to open server nnimap+yandex; Quit trying to open server
> nntp+feedbase
>
> This problems seems to have occurred today, and as I have said, it is
> absent from emacs-29.3.

I think this is bug#71452, which is under discussion as we speak.

* Re: gnus fails to open specific imap server
@ 2024-06-10 16:41   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2024-06-10 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

    >> From: Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024
    >> 10:24:17 +0100
    >>

    >> I have a problem reading email via gnus on the latest emacs (git
    >> pulled today) but which does not occur using emacs-29.3. The
    >> settings for both versions of emacs are identical, as indeed are
    >> the versions of gnus (5.13). Also, the problem only occurs with
    >> one particular server: imap.yandex.com. I have other servers
    >> e.g. imap.gmx.com which function satisfactorily.
    >>
    >> On the latest emacs, trying to open imap.yandex.com fails with
    >> the following error:

    >> Warning: Opening nnimap server on yandex...failed: CAPABILITY
    >> IMAP4rev1 CHILDREN UNSELECT LITERAL+ NAMESPACE XLIST UIDPLUS
    >> ENABLE ID IDLE MOVE; Quit trying to open server nnimap+yandex;
    >> Quit trying to open server nntp+feedbase --8<---------------cut
    >> here---------------end--------------->8---
    >>
    >> This problems seems to have occurred today, and as I have said,
    >> it is absent from emacs-29.3.

    > I think this is bug#71452, which is under discussion as we speak.

Thank you.

@ 2024-06-11  7:43     ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2024-06-11  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

    >>> This problems seems to have occurred today, and as I have said,
    >>> it is absent from emacs-29.3.

    >> I think this is bug#71452, which is under discussion as we speak.

This now appears to be fixed, at least for me. Thank you.

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter.