* Fixing the face menu
@ 2005-06-26  4:46 Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-06-26  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

The faces menu automatically lists all faces that are defined
except those whose names are matched by facemenu-unlisted-faces.
I am pretty sure that list is not up to date, and that various
packages define faces that shouldn't be listed in the menu
but currently do get listed.

We could go through all deffaces and update the value of
facemenu-unlisted-faces, but can we do something cleaner that will
require less maintenance?  For instance, list in each defface
whether to include it in the face menu?  Or list in each defface
if it should NOT be included in the face menu?

* Re: Fixing the face menu
@ 2005-06-27  7:47 ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2005-06-27  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Richard M. Stallman" <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> The faces menu automatically lists all faces that are defined
> except those whose names are matched by facemenu-unlisted-faces.
> I am pretty sure that list is not up to date, and that various
> packages define faces that shouldn't be listed in the menu
> but currently do get listed.
>
> We could go through all deffaces and update the value of
> facemenu-unlisted-faces, but can we do something cleaner that will
> require less maintenance?  For instance, list in each defface
> whether to include it in the face menu?  Or list in each defface
> if it should NOT be included in the face menu?

Specifying all faces that shouldn't be listed (by means of
facemenu-unlisted-faces) is not feasible.  Every (external) lisp
package can define faces which should not be listed.  We can never
anticipate the names of these faces.

[We could introduce a variable facemenu-listed-faces that specifies
the names of faces that should be listed in the menu.  That would
probably give better results.]

I think that if we add an option to defface that can specify whether
to add it to the face menu or not, that option should be optional and
default to not as most faces should not be added to the face menu.

Lute.

* Re: Fixing the face menu
@ 2005-06-28  4:16   ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-06-28  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    I think that if we add an option to defface that can specify whether
    to add it to the face menu or not, that option should be optional and
    default to not as most faces should not be added to the face menu.

We could do it that way.  Or perhaps we should just make one
complete list of the faces that should be listed in the menu.

Would someone like to look through the various packages
and make a suggested list of which faces SHOULD be in the menu?
When we see what they are, we could choose the simplest adequate
mechanism to implement it.