* Bug in uniquify-buffer-name-style's doc-string
@ 2007-07-18 12:40 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-07-18 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

the documentation of that variable says:

,----[ C-h v uniquify-buffer-name-style RET ]
| uniquify-buffer-name-style is a variable defined in `uniquify.el'.
| Its value is forward
|

| Documentation:
| *If non-nil, buffer names are uniquified with parts of directory name.
| The value determines the buffer name style and is one of `forward',
| `reverse', `post-forward', or `post-forward-angle-brackets'.
| For example, files `/foo/bar/mumble/name' and `/baz/quux/mumble/name'
| would have the following buffer names in the various styles:
|   forward        bar/mumble/name  quux/mumble/name
|   reverse        name\mumble\bar  name\mumble\quux
|   post-forward   name|bar/mumble  name|quux/mumble
|   post-forward-angle-brackets   name<bar/mumble>  name<quux/mumble>
|   nil            name  name<2>
`----

I think that's wrong. Currently I have two open files

  /home/heimdall/uni/repos/st-ss07/tichy/comments/blatt09.txt
  /home/heimdall/uni/repos/st-ss07/torvalds/comments/blatt09.txt

According to the documentation the buffer names should be

  tichy/comments/blatt09.txt
  torvalds/comments/blatt09.txt

but instead they are

  tichy/blatt09.txt
  torvalds/blatt09.txt

I like the current behavior better than the documented one, because
it offers shorter buffer names. So fixing the doc string should be the
only thing that's needed.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
People say that  if you play Microsoft CD's  backwards, you hear satanic
things,  but that's  nothing, because  if you  play them  forwards, they

* Re: Bug in uniquify-buffer-name-style's doc-string
@ 2007-07-18 13:39 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-07-18 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

as a short addition: the info documentation has a bug, too.

It says

,----[ (info "(emacs)Uniquify") ]
| The nontrivial difference between `post-forward' and `reverse' occurs
| when just one directory name is not enough to distinguish two files;
| then `reverse' puts the directory names in reverse order, so that
| `/top/middle/file' becomes `file\middle\top', while `post-forward'
| puts them in forward order after the file name, as in
| `file|top/middle'.
`----

But with the current uniquify behavior one directory is always enough to
distinguish two files.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Bug in uniquify-buffer-name-style's doc-string
@ 2007-07-18 19:00 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-07-18 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-devel

> the documentation of that variable says:

> ,----[ C-h v uniquify-buffer-name-style RET ]
> | uniquify-buffer-name-style is a variable defined in `uniquify.el'.
> | Its value is forward
> |

> | Documentation:
> | *If non-nil, buffer names are uniquified with parts of directory name.
> | The value determines the buffer name style and is one of `forward',
> | `reverse', `post-forward', or `post-forward-angle-brackets'.
> | For example, files `/foo/bar/mumble/name' and `/baz/quux/mumble/name'
> | would have the following buffer names in the various styles:
> |   forward        bar/mumble/name  quux/mumble/name
> |   reverse        name\mumble\bar  name\mumble\quux
> |   post-forward   name|bar/mumble  name|quux/mumble
> |   post-forward-angle-brackets   name<bar/mumble>  name<quux/mumble>
> |   nil            name  name<2>
> `----

> I think that's wrong. Currently I have two open files

>   /home/heimdall/uni/repos/st-ss07/tichy/comments/blatt09.txt
>   /home/heimdall/uni/repos/st-ss07/torvalds/comments/blatt09.txt

> According to the documentation the buffer names should be

>   tichy/comments/blatt09.txt
>   torvalds/comments/blatt09.txt

> but instead they are

>   tichy/blatt09.txt
>   torvalds/blatt09.txt

> I like the current behavior better than the documented one, because
> it offers shorter buffer names.  So fixing the doc string should be the
> only thing that's needed.

Indeed, the docstring does not take the new configuration variable
`uniquify-strip-common-suffix'.  I'll adjust it, thanks,