* find-file: strange behaviour
@ 2008-03-13 22:28 Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-03-13 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'm running emacs 23.0.60.2 from last week here. Since that I noticed
some strange behaviour when trying to open a file by C-x C-f. What I try
to describe here happens mostly after start up. A second try or any
subsequent tries work (not always though, but the error occurs mainly
after start up).

case 1:

Start emacs.
C-x C-f ~/path/to/file
emacs opens a second window, 5 lines high only, on the bottom of frame.
In that window I see an other file that was opened on start up (I use
desktop).
A second attempt succeeds.

case 2 (this one is worth):

If I export an *.org file sometimes an arbitrary existing file is
overwritten!
Same as above, first attempt in session, subsequent attempts succeed.

I suspect emacs though, since I deleted all lisp files on my machine
before installing. I used emacs 22 before (the current Debian testing
package).
I searched the mailinglist for something on this but to no avail.

I'd appreciate some guidance in figuring out the reasons for this. Maybe
some known problem that I missed here?

Regards,
   Sebastian

[-- Attachment #2: sebastian_rose.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Sebastian Rose
n:Rose;Sebastian
email;internet:sebastian_rose@gmx.de
title:Fachinformatiker/Anwendendungsentwicklung
tel;cell:+49 173 / 83 93 417
note;quoted-printable:Entwicklung  von Internetanwendungen und Programmen  mit  freien  Werkzeu=
	gen  und Bibliotheken.=0D=0A=
	=0D=0A=
	PHP, Java, C/C++,  Bash,  Perl,  Apache, MySQL,  PostgreSQL, xt::commerce=
	, Typo3, Server,  Netzwerk,  Desktop, Datenbank, gtkmm=0D=0A=

x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
end:vcard

* Re: find-file: strange behaviour
@ 2008-03-14 10:06 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-03-14 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sebastian_rose; +Cc: emacs-devel

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:

> I'm running emacs 23.0.60.2 from last week here. Since that I noticed
> some strange behaviour when trying to open a file by C-x C-f.

What if you check with a clean emacs -Q ?  Does the error disappear?

I guess the problem comes from one of the function in `find-file-hook'.
Can you see anything suspicious here?

> emacs opens a second window, 5 lines high only, on the bottom of
> frame. In that window I see an other file that was opened on start up
> (I use desktop).

Is the error still here without desktop?

> case 2 (this one is worth):

(You mean "worse", right? :)

> If I export an *.org file sometimes an arbitrary existing file is
> overwritten!  Same as above, first attempt in session, subsequent
> attempts succeed.

You export with C-c C-e h, right?  Or via org-publish.el?

> I suspect emacs though, since I deleted all lisp files on my machine
> before installing. I used emacs 22 before (the current Debian testing
> package).  I searched the mailinglist for something on this but to no
> avail.

I suspect something weirdness with related to your `desktop' or
`session' customization, or maybe some function in find-file-hook.

Can you try to narrow this problem with that directions?

--
Bastien

* Re: find-file: strange behaviour
@ 2008-03-14 11:21   ` Sebastian Rose