Stefan Monnier writes: > Nowadays, I think etags.el would deserve to be improved so as to taken > the major mode into account, and also so as to give precedence to > case-exact matches, and also to automatically try the second-choice if > the first makes you jump to where you started. > > IOW patches welcome, Here is another one. `tags-major-mode-sensitive' customisation allows to specify if `etags' package should be sensitive on a major mode. If so, it looks only for files with the names matching entries of `auto-mode-alist' of the major mode. It does not hit performance that much, if it is a problem, making a simple assumption about last search would be sufficient (however I've checked it on the Emacs code base, and seems to run OK). BTW: Integrating etags with ede projects might be a good idea. Cheers; Wojciech