* eldoc-eval.el in GNU ELPA
@ 2011-10-10  9:19 Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2011-10-10  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,
when i run list-packages, i don't see eldoc-eval.el, why?

--
  Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:

* Re: eldoc-eval.el in GNU ELPA
@ 2011-10-12  1:46 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-10-12  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> when i run list-packages, i don't see eldoc-eval.el, why?

Your header

;;; eldoc-eval.el -- Show eldoc when using M-:

was missing a dash:

;;; eldoc-eval.el --- Show eldoc when using M-:

which meant the script was unable to figure out that this was a
single-package archive.  I've checked in a fix.

But this package needs more work.  Please commit a proper commentary to
the file, explaining what this package does and entry points for using
it.  (That is what users see when they type `?' in the package menu.)

* Re: eldoc-eval.el in GNU ELPA
@ 2011-10-12  8:50   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2011-10-12  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> when i run list-packages, i don't see eldoc-eval.el, why?
>
> Your header
>
> ;;; eldoc-eval.el -- Show eldoc when using M-:
>
> was missing a dash:
>
> ;;; eldoc-eval.el --- Show eldoc when using M-:
>
> which meant the script was unable to figure out that this was a
> single-package archive.  I've checked in a fix.
Where is this documented, i was not aware of this.
Thanks for the fix.

> But this package needs more work.  Please commit a proper commentary to
> the file, explaining what this package does and entry points for using
> it.  (That is what users see when they type `?' in the package menu.)
So where do i have to provide this information?

In a README file?

In the "Commentary:" section in the eldoc-eval.el file?

--
  Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:

* Re: eldoc-eval.el in GNU ELPA
@ 2011-10-12 15:27     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-10-12 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> Where is this documented, i was not aware of this.

See the Packaging node in the Lisp manual.  We could relax the regexp in
the script to allow two dashes, but it's just as easy to fix the
packages themselves, as in this case.

>> But this package needs more work.  Please commit a proper commentary to
>> the file, explaining what this package does and entry points for using
>> it.  (That is what users see when they type `?' in the package menu.)
>
> So where do i have to provide this information?
>
> In a README file?
>
> In the "Commentary:" section in the eldoc-eval.el file?

In the ";;; Commentary:" section.  See Packaging node in the Lisp manual
for details.

* Re: eldoc-eval.el in GNU ELPA
@ 2011-10-12 17:22       ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2011-10-12 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Where is this documented, i was not aware of this.
>
> See the Packaging node in the Lisp manual.  We could relax the regexp in
> the script to allow two dashes, but it's just as easy to fix the
> packages themselves, as in this case.
>
>>> But this package needs more work.  Please commit a proper commentary to
>>> the file, explaining what this package does and entry points for using
>>> it.  (That is what users see when they type `?' in the package menu.)
>>
>> So where do i have to provide this information?
>>
>> In a README file?
>>
>> In the "Commentary:" section in the eldoc-eval.el file?
>
> In the ";;; Commentary:" section.  See Packaging node in the Lisp manual
> for details.

Ok thanks.

--
A+ Thierry