* Re: scratch/gnus-cloud ece27ed 01/61: Merge branch 'master' of git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs
       [not found] ` <20160701173750.9F5F1220067@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2016-07-01 17:47   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2016-07-01 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Fri,  1 Jul 2016 17:37:50 +0000 (UTC) tzz@lifelogs.com (Teodor Zlatanov) wrote:

TZ> branch: scratch/gnus-cloud
TZ> commit ece27ed21920283af9af1d78bd5235bf6097fce1
TZ> Merge: 743e6b6 13feb31
TZ> Author: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
TZ> Commit: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>

TZ>     Merge branch 'master' of git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs

Maybe the notification script should skip merge commits or ignore
scratch branches? It just sent out a whole bunch of notifications for a
scratch branch. Sorry for the annoyance, I didn't know there would be so
much noise (the alternative was to delete and recreate the branch).

Ted

* Re: scratch/gnus-cloud ece27ed 01/61: Merge branch 'master' of git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs
@ 2016-07-01 18:46     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-07-01 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
> Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 13:47:19 -0400
>
> On Fri,  1 Jul 2016 17:37:50 +0000 (UTC) tzz@lifelogs.com (Teodor Zlatanov) wrote:
>
> TZ> branch: scratch/gnus-cloud
> TZ> commit ece27ed21920283af9af1d78bd5235bf6097fce1
> TZ> Merge: 743e6b6 13feb31
> TZ> Author: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
> TZ> Commit: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
>
> TZ>     Merge branch 'master' of git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs
>
> Maybe the notification script should skip merge commits or ignore
> scratch branches? It just sent out a whole bunch of notifications for a
> scratch branch.

Why did you make so many merges from master onto the scratch branch?
This shouldn't be necessary to begin with.

* Re: scratch/gnus-cloud ece27ed 01/61: Merge branch 'master' of git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs
@ 2016-07-01 19:53       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2016-07-01 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Fri, 01 Jul 2016 21:46:49 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
>> Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 13:47:19 -0400
>>
>> On Fri,  1 Jul 2016 17:37:50 +0000 (UTC) tzz@lifelogs.com (Teodor Zlatanov) wrote:
>>
TZ> branch: scratch/gnus-cloud
TZ> commit ece27ed21920283af9af1d78bd5235bf6097fce1
TZ> Merge: 743e6b6 13feb31
TZ> Author: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
TZ> Commit: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
>>
TZ> Merge branch 'master' of git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs
>>
>> Maybe the notification script should skip merge commits or ignore
>> scratch branches? It just sent out a whole bunch of notifications for a
>> scratch branch.

EZ> Why did you make so many merges from master onto the scratch branch?
EZ> This shouldn't be necessary to begin with.

The point is that it's a scratch branch. I'm asking for these branches
to be excluded from diffs, otherwise I'll have to use another Git server
so I'm not spamming emacs-diffs.

FWIW, I merge the current master into my branch to make sure it works
fine. This is automated so it happens all the time, and I will rebase,
squash, and adjust the commit messages when it's time to push the code
to a public branch. But all that is not relevant, there are many ways to
generate noise in scratch branches.

Ted

* Re: scratch/gnus-cloud ece27ed 01/61: Merge branch 'master' of git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs
@ 2016-07-02  6:29         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-07-02  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
> Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 15:53:15 -0400
>
> EZ> Why did you make so many merges from master onto the scratch branch?
> EZ> This shouldn't be necessary to begin with.
>
> The point is that it's a scratch branch. I'm asking for these branches
> to be excluded from diffs, otherwise I'll have to use another Git server
> so I'm not spamming emacs-diffs.

A scratch branch is still a public branch.

I don't necessarily object to excluding them from emacs-diffs, but I
don't know who can do that, nor whether it's at all possible.

> FWIW, I merge the current master into my branch to make sure it works
> fine. This is automated so it happens all the time, and I will rebase,
> squash, and adjust the commit messages when it's time to push the code
> to a public branch.

I don't see why you need all that.  The final merge onto master needs
to be tested anyway, so the best practice IME is not to merge from
master during development.

> But all that is not relevant, there are many ways to generate noise
> in scratch branches.

Well, the best way to combat the noise is not to generate it in the
first place.

* Re: scratch/gnus-cloud ece27ed 01/61: Merge branch 'master' of git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs
@ 2016-07-05  2:38           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2016-07-05  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Sat, 02 Jul 2016 09:29:29 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

EZ> I don't necessarily object to excluding them from emacs-diffs, but I
EZ> don't know who can do that, nor whether it's at all possible.

OK, that was in fact my question, so I hope someone can answer or point
me to the right people. *Someone* set up the script originally.

Ted