* Re: ENWC Development
@ 2017-03-14  1:06 Ian Dunn
From: Ian Dunn @ 2017-03-14  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Clément Pit-Claudel, Live System User, raman

Hey Everyone,

    I recently pushed an update to ENWC that implements network interface selection, using either the 'ip' or 'ifconfig' programs.  This will run in `enwc-setup', which runs as part of the first run of `enwc'.  As of right now, these changes don't persist between Emacs sessions.

    The ultimate goal of ENWC is to allow a user to set up a new network profile from scratch.  This has always been part of my goal with ENWC, but due to the differing ways in which Wicd and NetworkManager handled this, and my short-sighted initial design, I couldn't figure out a solution.

    Thank you to everyone that's helped with testing so far.  My goal for the 2.0 release is to have ENWC using the NetworkManager backend to connect to a wired or wireless network for which a profile already exists.  So far, wireless seems to be working; not so much wired.  I hope to have that up and running within the week, and 2.0 released by the end of the month.

    The 3.0 release will see a new profile interface, and working NetworkManager and Wicd backends.  I don't have an estimate for how long this will take.  As always, I'm open to input and feedback.

--
Ian Dunn

* ENWC Development
@ 2017-02-16  0:58 Ian Dunn
From: Ian Dunn @ 2017-02-16  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hey everyone,

I'd like to reboot enwc (the Emacs network client), and could use some help from anyone interested.

1. The information on elpa is outdated; I migrated enwc from bazaar to mercurial months ago, so that needs to be updated (Apologies for not mentioning this sooner).  Would it be easier if I had access to the elpa repo to make the changes myself?  I'd like to continue development on the Savannah repo enwc has, but I wouldn't mind syncing it to elpa myself after each release.

2. I'd like to support NetworkManager and Wicd, despite the latter's apparent death, but I've also looked into conn man and netctl.  What does everyone here use?

3. Finally, I'd appreciate help testing enwc.  I run NetworkManager myself, so that's likely to get the most testing, but I'd hate to see the others fall into disrepair.  Even something simple such as running a few commands and telling me it didn't work would be helpful.  If anyone would like to take it a step further and maintain one of the backends, that'd be even better.

--
Ian Dunn