Stefan Monnier writes: > "Real" functional programming tends to use lots of small functions, so > it's important to optimize the implementation of function calls and > closure creations. Elisp is not great at either of those: I meant that Elisp (like most Lisps) is a good fit for functional programming from the point of view of the semantics of the language and the constructs it provides. > The Elisp style is evolving and those inefficiencies are more often > visible (e.g. cl-print's main bottleneck is the cost of apply+&rest in > my tests), so we can hope that someone will work on reducing them at > some point; That'd be nice indeed, but one beautiful day we'll get Guile's VM anyway! > and in general I do recommend to make your code clean and > correct first and foremost. But keep in mind that Elisp's support for > functional programming is a bit lacking in efficiency. I've not yet hit any performance issue regarding fun calls or heavy use of closures :) Cheers, Nico