* can't compile master on MacOS 10.15 with fink
@ 2021-02-22  7:38 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-02-22  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi

I could install finks emacs 26 so the library dependence should be
settled, however compiling emacs master gives me

Using
 ./configure --prefix=/opt/emacs28 --with-x-toolkit=athena --without-pop --with-mailutils

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make -C ../admin/grammars all EMACS="../../src/emacs"
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
rm ./emacs-lisp/tcover-unsafep.elc
rm ./erc/erc-compat.elc
rm ./gnus/nnir.elc
  ELC      emacs-lisp/eieio.elc
desired fingerprint: b840bbe0e705978a5166b04c630ef38a2e9f9f298dc2c9a11163a3dfce7e0f5d
found fingerprint: 7104882dd25bd5c64b0690705b332d28bcab270e4bbc03e279f7ba09a864e4b7
emacs: could not load dump file "/Users/oub/src-big/emacs/src/emacs.pdmp": not built for this Emacs executable
make[2]: *** [emacs-lisp/eieio.elc] Error 1
make[1]: *** [compile-main] Error 2
make: *** [lisp] Error 2

Any ideas?

Uwe Brauer

* Re: can't compile master on MacOS 10.15 with fink
@ 2021-02-22  9:07 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2021-02-22  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

    Uwe> Hi

    Uwe> I could install finks emacs 26 so the library dependence should be
    Uwe> settled, however compiling emacs master gives me

    Uwe> Using
    Uwe>  ./configure --prefix=/opt/emacs28 --with-x-toolkit=athena --without-pop --with-mailutils

You have objections to the ns gui? If you build it like this you'll
need an X server running. Plus the ns gui lets you remap
Command/Control/Option to Hyper/Super/Ctrl in various combinations.

    Uwe> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make -C ../admin/grammars all EMACS="../../src/emacs"
    Uwe> make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
    Uwe> rm ./emacs-lisp/tcover-unsafep.elc
    Uwe> rm ./erc/erc-compat.elc
    Uwe> rm ./gnus/nnir.elc
    Uwe>   ELC      emacs-lisp/eieio.elc
    Uwe> desired fingerprint: b840bbe0e705978a5166b04c630ef38a2e9f9f298dc2c9a11163a3dfce7e0f5d
    Uwe> found fingerprint: 7104882dd25bd5c64b0690705b332d28bcab270e4bbc03e279f7ba09a864e4b7
    Uwe> emacs: could not load dump file "/Users/oub/src-big/emacs/src/emacs.pdmp": not built for this Emacs executable
    Uwe> make[2]: *** [emacs-lisp/eieio.elc] Error 1
    Uwe> make[1]: *** [compile-main] Error 2
    Uwe> make: *** [lisp] Error 2

    Uwe> Any ideas?

rm emacs.pdmp and try again? (I have a vague suspicion this is a gmake
vs make thing, so perhaps ensure youʼre using GNU make)

Robert

* Re: can't compile master on MacOS 10.15 with fink
@ 2021-02-22 11:03   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-02-22 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> "RP" == Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

Uwe> Hi

Uwe> I could install finks emacs 26 so the library dependence should be
Uwe> settled, however compiling emacs master gives me

Uwe> Using
Uwe> ./configure --prefix=/opt/emacs28 --with-x-toolkit=athena --without-pop --with-mailutils

> You have objections to the ns gui? If you build it like this you'll
> need an X server running. Plus the ns gui lets you remap
> Command/Control/Option to Hyper/Super/Ctrl in various combinations.

Well I have the XQuartz installed by fink, but as it seems that will
need some fiddling with respect to the Hyper/Super/Crtl

Where can I find the ns gui?

And which options should I use then?

I seem to remember that you are a (long term) Mac user, what is your
opinion about the one provided by emacsformacox?

Uwe> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make -C ../admin/grammars all EMACS="../../src/emacs"
Uwe> make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Uwe> rm ./emacs-lisp/tcover-unsafep.elc
Uwe> rm ./erc/erc-compat.elc
Uwe> rm ./gnus/nnir.elc
Uwe> ELC      emacs-lisp/eieio.elc
Uwe> desired fingerprint: b840bbe0e705978a5166b04c630ef38a2e9f9f298dc2c9a11163a3dfce7e0f5d
Uwe> found fingerprint: 7104882dd25bd5c64b0690705b332d28bcab270e4bbc03e279f7ba09a864e4b7
Uwe> emacs: could not load dump file "/Users/oub/src-big/emacs/src/emacs.pdmp": not built for this Emacs executable
Uwe> make[2]: *** [emacs-lisp/eieio.elc] Error 1
Uwe> make[1]: *** [compile-main] Error 2
Uwe> make: *** [lisp] Error 2

Uwe> Any ideas?

> rm emacs.pdmp and try again? (I have a vague suspicion this is a gmake
> vs make thing, so perhaps ensure youʼre using GNU make)

Or make clean/distclean even. Thanks

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: can't compile master on MacOS 10.15 with fink
@ 2021-02-22 11:23     ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2021-02-22 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 12:03:39PM +0100, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> Where can I find the ns gui?
>
> And which options should I use then?

Have a look in nextstep/INSTALL in the git repo.

Basically, you don't need any flags. That's how I build:

./configure
make
make install
<copy Emacs.app to /Applications>
--
Alan Third

* Re: can't compile master on MacOS 10.15 with fink
@ 2021-02-22 14:58     ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2021-02-22 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

    Uwe> I seem to remember that you are a (long term) Mac user, what is your
    Uwe> opinion about the one provided by emacsformacox?

Iʼm the wrong person to ask: Iʼve only ever compiled emacs direct from
git on macOS.

Robert

* Re: can't compile master on MacOS 10.15 with fink
@ 2021-02-22 22:49     ` chad
From: chad @ 2021-02-22 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: EMACS development team

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 3:04 AM Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

> I seem to remember that you are a (long term) Mac user, what is your
> opinion about the one provided by emacsformacox?

Note: I lost regular access to macOS about a year and a half ago.

The emacsformacosx option is solid for end-users, but I think still less
good for developers (caveat: not so for developers interested in helping
make a stable "emacsformacosx" package for macos users, versus people
interested in latest-and-greatest emacs HEAD development). It replaces fat
binaries with a ruby-based launcher that figures out which binary to run.
This might bother or you not (it bothered me, once upon a time). Beyond
that it seemed to be a faithful version of GNU Emacs built for macos, and
offers nightly builds for closing some of the gap I mentioned above.

An alternative is the "mac port", which replaces the ns specific code in
the GNU Emacs mainline with code that uses a different mac-specific
toolkit. This has the advantage that the toolkit code it uses is more
current and better maintained (the toolkit code used by the ns port is
potentially at/beyond its theoretical end of support), and the downside
that it doesn't support the non-macOS nextstep codebase. In practice, the
mac port is pretty popular, because it removes some rough edges that the ns
port basically can't avoid. You can find more information about the mac
port at https://bitbucket.org/mituharu/emacs-mac/src/master/ and/or you can
use the popular homebrew packaging by user railwaycat.

Although my personal experience is a bit dated at this point, about a
decade of experience lead me to the conclusion that either the ns or mac
ports were better under macos UNLESS you also want to be able to open
frames on remote X displays. I mostly used the ns port built directly from
the GNU Emacs HEAD. I would be surprised if that had changed in the
meantime.

Hope that helps!
~Chad

* Re: can't compile master on MacOS 10.15 with fink
@ 2021-02-23 14:47       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-02-23 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 3:04 AM Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

> Note: I lost regular access to macOS about a year and a half ago.

> An alternative is the "mac port", which replaces the ns specific code in
> the GNU Emacs mainline with code that uses a different mac-specific
> toolkit. This has the advantage that the toolkit code it uses is more
> current and better maintained (the toolkit code used by the ns port is
> potentially at/beyond its theoretical end of support), and the downside
> that it doesn't support the non-macOS nextstep codebase. In practice, the
> mac port is pretty popular, because it removes some rough edges that the ns
> port basically can't avoid. You can find more information about the mac
> port at https://bitbucket.org/mituharu/emacs-mac/src/master/ and/or you can
> use the popular homebrew packaging by user railwaycat.

I think I will stick to my Linux machine for the forseeable future, but
also want a stable and modern enough emacs to run the packages I use
most, namely auctex, gnus and org mode.
I would need, to get the hyper-super modifier business resolved. The
emacsformacox seems to take care of that, the fink compiled one on the
other hand does not (without digging into Xmodmap).

> Although my personal experience is a bit dated at this point, about a
> decade of experience lead me to the conclusion that either the ns or mac
> ports were better under macos UNLESS you also want to be able to open
> frames on remote X displays. I mostly used the ns port built directly from
> the GNU Emacs HEAD. I would be surprised if that had changed in the
> meantime.

Ok, I will give this a try, I don't think I will need the remote X
display stuff for the moment, but thanks for pointing that out to me.

Regards

Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: can't compile master on MacOS 10.15 with fink
@ 2021-02-23 19:00       ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2021-02-23 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chad; +Cc: EMACS development team

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 02:49:48PM -0800, chad wrote:
> (the toolkit code used by the ns port is potentially at/beyond its
> theoretical end of support)

I think you've got this a little backwards.

The Mac port used to use Carbon, which is beyond it's end-of-life, or
is at least not seeing new feature development. The Mac port also uses
a lot of "NEXTstep" (Cocoa) code, which is still the current toolkit
for macOS and iOS, although it has another name on iOS and I can't
remember what it is.

The NS port is almost entirely "NEXTstep" (GNUstep and Cocoa,
specifically).
--
Alan Third

* Re: can't compile master on MacOS 10.15 with fink
@ 2021-02-23 20:03         ` chad
From: chad @ 2021-02-23 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Third, chad, EMACS development team

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 11:00 AM Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 02:49:48PM -0800, chad wrote:
> > (the toolkit code used by the ns port is potentially at/beyond its
> > theoretical end of support)
>
> I think you've got this a little backwards.
>
> The Mac port used to use Carbon, which is beyond it's end-of-life, or
> is at least not seeing new feature development. The Mac port also uses
> a lot of "NEXTstep" (Cocoa) code, which is still the current toolkit
> for macOS and iOS, although it has another name on iOS and I can't
> remember what it is.
>
> The NS port is almost entirely "NEXTstep" (GNUstep and Cocoa,
> specifically).

Apologies for misleading with my bad and/or out of date memory; Alan is
certainly better informed than I am here.

Since it had been a while, I dug in a bit and found this relevant
information in the mac port:
https://bitbucket.org/mituharu/emacs-mac/src/master/README-mac
This might be useful to anyone looking at the alternatives.

Thanks,
~Chad

* Re: can't compile master on MacOS 10.15 with fink
@ 2021-02-23 20:50       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-02-23 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> "AT" == Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> writes:

   > On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 12:03:39PM +0100, Uwe Brauer wrote:
   >>
   >> Where can I find the ns gui?
   >>
   >> And which options should I use then?

   > Have a look in nextstep/INSTALL in the git repo.

   > Basically, you don't need any flags. That's how I build:

   > ./configure

When I do this emacs  complains that I should use

--with-mailutils (as I usually do)

   > make
   > make install
   > <copy Emacs.app to /Applications>

Do you mean make install+copy Emacs.app from the installation path to /Applications?

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: can't compile master on MacOS 10.15 with fink
@ 2021-02-23 22:51         ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2021-02-23 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 09:50:49PM +0100, Uwe Brauer wrote:

>    > On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 12:03:39PM +0100, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>    >>
>    >> Where can I find the ns gui?
>    >>
>    >> And which options should I use then?
>
>    > Have a look in nextstep/INSTALL in the git repo.
>
>    > Basically, you don't need any flags. That's how I build:
>
>    > ./configure
>
> When I do this emacs  complains that I should use
>
> --with-mailutils (as I usually do)

You only need to do that if you need the mailutils. I don't, so I
don't build them.

>    > make
>    > make install
>    > <copy Emacs.app to /Applications>
>
> Do you mean make install+copy Emacs.app from the installation path to /Applications?

Yup.

--
Alan Third

* Re: can't compile master on MacOS 10.15 with fink
@ 2021-02-24  6:47       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2021-02-24  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chad; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > Note: I lost regular access to macOS about a year and a half ago.

I don't know how you feel about this, but I think it is a great boon
for you.

--
Dr Richard Stallman