* Who obsoleted column-number-indicator-zero-based ?
@ 2021-07-27 21:02 Perry E. Metzger
From: Perry E. Metzger @ 2021-07-27 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Howdy!

I note that column-number-indicator-zero-based has been obsoleted on the
master branch.

I added it some time ago (after adding the ability to one base the
displayed column) because it is difficult to customize the joint line
and column number display many of us use with both line-number-mode and
column-number-mode on.

The deprecation message tells people to customize
mode-line-position-column-format, which doesn't actually work if both
these modes are on.

Perry

* Re: Who obsoleted column-number-indicator-zero-based ?
@ 2021-07-27 21:10 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-07-27 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry E. Metzger; +Cc: emacs-devel

"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:

> The deprecation message tells people to customize
> mode-line-position-column-format, which doesn't actually work if both
> these modes are on.

`mode-line-position-column-line-format' is the variable to use if both
modes are on.

* Re: Who obsoleted column-number-indicator-zero-based ?
@ 2021-07-27 22:57   ` Perry E. Metzger
From: Perry E. Metzger @ 2021-07-27 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 7/27/21 17:10, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:
>
>> The deprecation message tells people to customize
>> mode-line-position-column-format, which doesn't actually work if both
>> these modes are on.
> `mode-line-position-column-line-format' is the variable to use if both
> modes are on.

If so, that needs to be documented for the user in the deprecation
message (and probably elsewhere as well).

If you were the one who handled the deprecation, could you also fix the
message to explain that?

@ 2021-07-28 15:58     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-07-28 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry E. Metzger; +Cc: emacs-devel

"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:

> If so, that needs to be documented for the user in the deprecation
> message (and probably elsewhere as well).
>
> If you were the one who handled the deprecation, could you also fix
> the message to explain that?

I've now made the doc strings for these variables refer to each other
(and mention %C in the doc string), so it should be possible for users
to work out the logic here.

* Re: Who obsoleted column-number-indicator-zero-based ?
@ 2021-07-28 16:27       ` Perry E. Metzger
From: Perry E. Metzger @ 2021-07-28 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 7/28/21 11:58, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:
>
>> If so, that needs to be documented for the user in the deprecation
>> message (and probably elsewhere as well).
>>
>> If you were the one who handled the deprecation, could you also fix
>> the message to explain that?
> I've now made the doc strings for these variables refer to each other
> (and mention %C in the doc string), so it should be possible for users
> to work out the logic here.

Thank you! (I presume the manual has also been fixed?)

@ 2021-07-28 16:39         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-07-28 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry E. Metzger; +Cc: emacs-devel

"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:

> Thank you! (I presume the manual has also been fixed?)

Now it has.  :-)