Stefan Monnier writes: > Matt Armstrong [2022-10-07 09:51:32] wrote: >> Stefan Monnier writes: >>> I just updated the noverlay branch to the code in `master` (most of it >>> was mechanical except for the fact that since the last commit on that >>> branch we have gotten rid of Lisp_Misc and we moved to pdumper). >>> >>> I'm getting ready to install this in `master`, so I'd encourage people >>> to try this code as much as possible to try and weed out the most >>> glaring problems before it hits master. >> >> Stefan (and others), where are we at with this? Are there things that >> must happen before a merge? > > I'm mainly waiting to hear feedback (including my own) about "I use it > with no visible problem". I like that criteria. :) >> Is anybody able to use the noverlay branch for daily work? > > I do. > >> I'm running the noverlay branch now and was observing an eassume >> failure. > > Do you have the file&line number at least? Not the specific eassert because...reasons. Long story short: I can debug eassert failures now, but not then. In any case, I do have a new test for tests/src/buffer-tests.el that crashes feature/noverlay Emacs immediately, when ENABLE_CHECKING is on, in a spot in itree.c having to do with offset inheritance. Two patches, also on https://git.sr.ht/~matta/emacs/log/feature/noverlay as before. I'll work on fixing the crash next, but wanted to get the test in because it takes an...interesting approach...that may require discussion.