From: Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Disable same window pop-to-buffer in Occur buffers
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 11:33:32 +0200	[thread overview]

> occur-mode-goto-occurrence should always go to the SAME window.  Your
> change ought to make it always go to another window, which is not
> correct.

Unfortunately, the current CVS state of `occur' is broken.  Mouse-2
clicked on the *Occur* buffer works unreliably: when point is in the
source buffer's window, it switches the buffer in the Occur buffer.
But when point initially was in the Occur buffer, it goes to the
occurrence in the window with the source buffer.

> So this ought to be the correct fix.  It makes these commands in
> Occur buffers work compatibly with Dired buffers.

I think the correct analogy for Occur buffers is not Dired buffers,
but rather Compilation and Grep buffers.  Occur behaves in the same way
as compilation and grep: the user calls this command, and it outputs
results in another window.  After that the user can type a key bound
to `next-error', or select the window with search results and type
`RET' or `C-c C-c' (like in compilation and grep buffers) to visit
the result in the source buffer's window.  In any case, both windows
(source buffer's window and occur buffer's window) remain visible.

But when `RET' in the Occur buffer switches the buffer in the same
window, this causes the source buffer to be displayed in two windows.
This is very inconvenient.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/