* Dired permission warning and marking such files
@ 2008-03-15 16:51 Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2008-03-15 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I have been following the recent discussion about the warning that
Dired emits in the form of a font locked "w". I don't care much about
the face really but something that struck me was that there doesn't
seem to be any easy way to fix the "problem" that Dired warns about. I
had to record a keyboard macro, searching for the specific pattern and
marking those lines, and then I had to run this macro until all
"warned" lines was marked. Then I could use M-! and do a `chmod' to
fix the permissions.

I would have expected to find some command to mark files with certain
permissions under the Mark menu.

What do others think?

/Mathias

* Re: Dired permission warning and marking such files
@ 2008-03-15 17:09 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-03-15 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathias Dahl; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I have been following the recent discussion about the warning that
> Dired emits in the form of a font locked "w". I don't care much about
> the face really but something that struck me was that there doesn't
> seem to be any easy way to fix the "problem" that Dired warns about. I
> had to record a keyboard macro, searching for the specific pattern and
> marking those lines, and then I had to run this macro until all
> "warned" lines was marked. Then I could use M-! and do a `chmod' to
> fix the permissions.
>
> I would have expected to find some command to mark files with certain
> permissions under the Mark menu.
>
> What do others think?

You can load dired-x and type in dired:

M-( (string-match "\\(w....\\|w.\\)$" mode) RET
M go-w RET

Alternatively, you can set `wdired-allow-to-change-permissions' to
`advanced', and use `query-replace'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/