* Gnus number of unread articles change when switching from 22.2 to 23
@ 2008-08-29  6:49 Klaus Zeitler
From: Klaus Zeitler @ 2008-08-29  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,
I'm currently switching often between 22.2 and the CVS version
(The CVS version is sometimes unbearably slow, but I haven't found enough
time to investigate this).
Every time I switch from 22.2 to 23 and use gnus in emacs 23, gnus shows
lots of unread articles in the group buffer.
Now if I read them or use catch up, then use gnus in version 22.2 and
finally use the CVS version again, the articles are shown as unread again.
Is there an incompatible change between the 2 versions?
Where should I start investigate this?

Thanks
Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Alcatel-Lucent               |
|  Email:             kzeitler@alcatel-lucent.com  |
---
Have you noticed that all you need to grow healthy,
vigorous grass is a crack in your sidewalk?

* Re: Gnus number of unread articles change when switching from 22.2 to 23
@ 2008-08-29 14:18 ` Paul R
From: Paul R @ 2008-08-29 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kzeitler; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello Klaus,

Klaus> Where should I start investigate this?

Probably on emacs.gnus.general, although a lot of people on
emacs.devel use gnus and know it well.

--
  Paul

* Re: Gnus number of unread articles change when switching from 22.2 to 23
@ 2008-08-29 16:54 ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2008-08-29 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Klaus Zeitler <kzeitler@alcatel-lucent.com> writes:

> Hello,
> I'm currently switching often between 22.2 and the CVS version
> (The CVS version is sometimes unbearably slow, but I haven't found enough
> time to investigate this).
> Every time I switch from 22.2 to 23 and use gnus in emacs 23, gnus shows
> lots of unread articles in the group buffer.
> Now if I read them or use catch up, then use gnus in version 22.2 and
> finally use the CVS version again, the articles are shown as unread again.
> Is there an incompatible change between the 2 versions?
> Where should I start investigate this?

I've got no idea what might cause this, but I see the same problem.

--
Have you ever considered how much text can fit in eighty columns?  Given that a
signature typically contains up to four lines of text, this space allows you to

* Re: Gnus number of unread articles change when switching from 22.2 to 23
@ 2008-08-30  7:10   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-08-30  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Frank Schmitt <ich@frank-schmitt.net> writes:

Hi!

>> Every time I switch from 22.2 to 23 and use gnus in emacs 23, gnus
>> shows lots of unread articles in the group buffer.
>
> I've got no idea what might cause this, but I see the same problem.

Hm, the Gnus manual states that downgrading from Oort Gnus (5.10.x) to
older versions isn't a good idea.  So I dare to say that switching
between major versions may lead to troubles in general.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Gnus number of unread articles change when switching from 22.2 to 23
@ 2008-08-30  7:18 ` Sven Joachim
From: Sven Joachim @ 2008-08-30  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kzeitler; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2008-08-29 08:49 +0200, Klaus Zeitler wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm currently switching often between 22.2 and the CVS version
> (The CVS version is sometimes unbearably slow, but I haven't found enough
> time to investigate this).
> Every time I switch from 22.2 to 23 and use gnus in emacs 23, gnus shows
> lots of unread articles in the group buffer.
> Now if I read them or use catch up, then use gnus in version 22.2 and
> finally use the CVS version again, the articles are shown as unread again.
> Is there an incompatible change between the 2 versions?

Yes, see etc/GNUS-NEWS.

> Where should I start investigate this?

Read the sections about marks in the mentioned file.  You may want to
set nntp-marks-is-evil to t if you keep switching between the to
versions.  Another idea would be to use No Gnus in Emacs 22.

Sven