* X settings, default-frame-alist and initial-frame-alist issues.
@ 2011-08-09  8:10 Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2011-08-09  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,
it seem impossible actually to have X default settings (i.e in
Xressources), default-frame-alist settings, and initial-frame-alist.
I want a default-frame-alist setting different than the one in
initial-frame-alist.
I followed the advices in docstring and info of initial-frame-alist:

* Specify X resources to give the geometry you want.
* Set `default-frame-alist' to override these options so that they
  don't affect subsequent frames.
* Set `initial-frame-alist' in a way that matches the X resources,
  to override what you put in `default-frame-alist'.

I am using fullscreen => maximized in .Xressources
           fullscreen => nil       in default-frame-alist
           fullscreen => t         in initial-frame-alist

At every restart of emacs, frame is maximized as expected by the X
settings, then my init file load, and at end of startup, frame is
resized with (i guess) settings of default-frame-alist.

Did i miss something or it is a bug?

(i think this is related with another issue, see bug#9033)

--
A+ Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:

* Re: X settings, default-frame-alist and initial-frame-alist issues.
@ 2011-08-09 16:13 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-08-09 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> I am using fullscreen => maximized in .Xressources
>            fullscreen => nil       in default-frame-alist
>            fullscreen => t         in initial-frame-alist
>
> At every restart of emacs, frame is maximized as expected by the X
> settings, then my init file load, and at end of startup, frame is
> resized with (i guess) settings of default-frame-alist.

I don't understand what you are setting .Xresources.

  (setq initial-frame-alist '((fullscreen . maximized)))
  (setq default-frame-alist '((fullscreen . nil)))

should do what you want (if it does not, please be more specific).

* Re: X settings, default-frame-alist and initial-frame-alist issues.
@ 2011-08-09 17:29   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2011-08-09 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I am using fullscreen => maximized in .Xressources
>>            fullscreen => nil       in default-frame-alist
>>            fullscreen => t         in initial-frame-alist
>>
>> At every restart of emacs, frame is maximized as expected by the X
>> settings, then my init file load, and at end of startup, frame is
>> resized with (i guess) settings of default-frame-alist.
>
> I don't understand what you are setting .Xresources.
You know what i mean ;-)
Read manual page of emacs and/or docstring of initial-frame-alist.

>   (setq initial-frame-alist '((fullscreen . maximized)))
>   (setq default-frame-alist '((fullscreen . nil)))
This is working unless i don't put in initial-frame-alist anything else.
Otherwise, default-frame-alist is overhiding these settings.

Anyway that is not what is recommended in both docstring and manual of
initial-frame-alist when we use X settings + default-frame-alist.

So docstring and manual should be updated to explain that clearly.

This was the purpose of this post and also help find what happen in
bug#9033.

Thanks anyway for your answer.

--
A+ Thierry