* Double dashes in docstrings without surrounding space - is this something to address?
@ 2018-05-29  0:53 Rocky Bernstein
From: Rocky Bernstein @ 2018-05-29  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Recently it was pointed out to me that there are various docstrings that
use -- without surrounding spaces as in this for upcase

The argument object is not altered--the value is a copy.

^^^^^

You can find other examples in casefiddle.c and in some Emacs Lisp code as
well like the docstring for comiint-scroll-show-maximum-output.

Is this intentional, or accidental? Should it be changed?

* Double dashes in docstrings without surrounding space - is this something to address?
@ 2018-05-29  1:33 Rocky Bernstein
From: Rocky Bernstein @ 2018-05-29  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Recently it was pointed out to me that there are various docstrings that
use -- without surrounding spaces as in this for upcase

The argument object is not altered--the value is a copy.

^^^^^

You can find other examples in casefiddle.c and in some Emacs Lisp code as
well like the docstring for comiint-scroll-show-maximum-output. Is this
intentional, or accidental? Should it be changed?

* Re: Double dashes in docstrings without surrounding space - is this something to address?
@ 2018-05-29  1:46 ` Michael Welsh Duggan
From: Michael Welsh Duggan @ 2018-05-29  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Rocky Bernstein <rocky@gnu.org> writes:

> Recently it was pointed out to me that there are various docstrings that
> use -- without surrounding spaces as in this for upcase
>
> The argument object is not altered--the value is a copy.
>
> ^^^^^
>
> You can find other examples in casefiddle.c and in some Emacs Lisp code as
> well like the docstring for comiint-scroll-show-maximum-output. Is this
> intentional, or accidental? Should it be changed?

Most likely intentional.  It looks like it is trying to emulate an
em-dash.  In a non-proportional font, it's probably as close as your
going to get.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(md5i@md5i.com)

* Re: Double dashes in docstrings without surrounding space - is this something to address?
@ 2018-05-29  5:43 ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2018-05-29  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rocky.bernstein; +Cc: Emacs developers

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 8:45 AM Rocky Bernstein <rocky.bernstein@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Recently it was pointed out to me that there are various docstrings that
use -- without surrounding spaces as in this for upcase

> The argument object is not altered--the value is a copy.

^^^^^

> You can find other examples in casefiddle.c and in some Emacs Lisp code
as well like the docstring for comiint-scroll-show-maximum-output.

> Is this intentional, or accidental? Should it be changed?

The more important issue is that a double hyphen is used where a dash
should be.

* Re: Double dashes in docstrings without surrounding space - is this something to address?
@ 2018-05-29 16:25   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-05-29 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan; +Cc: rocky.bernstein, emacs-devel

> From: Yuri Khan <yurivkhan@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 12:43:21 +0700
> Cc: Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> The more important issue is that a double hyphen is used where a dash
> should be.

And the answer is that we'd prefer to stay with ASCII characters as
much as possible, certainly in doc strings, given the controversy
associated with the opposite tendency.  'Nough said.