* Hierarchical non-emoji character insertion
@ 2021-11-04 17:28 Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-11-04 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

I'm idly wondering whether we should also have something that resembles
`C-x 8 e e' for non-emojis.  I.e., human languages -> ancient languages ->
hieratic -> [those glyphs] (or whatever).  (Well, bad example, because
that's not part of Unicode.)

So I've poked around on the Unicode web site to see if they're published
anything like that, and apparently?  Just categories for
punctuation/math/etc.  Or am I looking in the wrong place?

* Re: Hierarchical non-emoji character insertion
@ 2021-11-04 17:36 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-11-04 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

> So I've poked around on the Unicode web site to see if they're published
> anything like that, and apparently?  Just categories for
> punctuation/math/etc.  Or am I looking in the wrong place?

I guess we could do something with the Blocks.txt file here, but it'd be
a shallow hierarchy.

11FB0..11FBF; Lisu Supplement
11FC0..11FFF; Tamil Supplement
12000..123FF; Cuneiform
12400..1247F; Cuneiform Numbers and Punctuation
12480..1254F; Early Dynastic Cuneiform
12F90..12FFF; Cypro-Minoan
13000..1342F; Egyptian Hieroglyphs
13430..1343F; Egyptian Hieroglyph Format Controls
14400..1467F; Anatolian Hieroglyphs
16800..16A3F; Bamum Supplement

* Re: Hierarchical non-emoji character insertion
@ 2021-11-04 18:53   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-11-04 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 18:36:58 +0100
>
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > So I've poked around on the Unicode web site to see if they're published
> > anything like that, and apparently?  Just categories for
> > punctuation/math/etc.  Or am I looking in the wrong place?
>
> I guess we could do something with the Blocks.txt file here, but it'd be
> a shallow hierarchy.
>
> 11FB0..11FBF; Lisu Supplement
> 11FC0..11FFF; Tamil Supplement
> 12000..123FF; Cuneiform
> 12400..1247F; Cuneiform Numbers and Punctuation
> 12480..1254F; Early Dynastic Cuneiform
> 12F90..12FFF; Cypro-Minoan
> 13000..1342F; Egyptian Hieroglyphs
> 13430..1343F; Egyptian Hieroglyph Format Controls
> 14400..1467F; Anatolian Hieroglyphs
> 16800..16A3F; Bamum Supplement

Most of these are dead scripts, so probably not very useful for Emacs
users.