* Where / when Emacs on Gitlab?
@ 2024-01-11  6:22 Psionic K
From: Psionic K @ 2024-01-11  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

I only just caught Stefan's presentation on Emacs development
https://toobnix.org/w/m4XmrmE9Geat54AKT1RQaH

I'm in favor of a relief valve for the email based workflows and
generally experienced at these sorts of CI and repo automation tools.
Most importantly in this email, I don't lurk on the mailing lists, so
someone feel free to reply to me directly to make sure we connect on
Gitlab etc whenever it's ready to happen.

By the way, the largest downsides, which we can't see or measure on
email based systems, are representation (ad-hoc emoji votes provide a
lot of signal when following the Rust project) and survivor bias (we
never hear again from those pushed away by development style
preference).

While these web 2.0 style services have their own drawbacks for
communication that have become more clear in their 20 years of
evolution, the better systems are currently under development and we
should direct attention toward making better things rather than
applying friction to each other over the drawbacks of these soon-to-be
ancient web 2.0 platforms.  Everyone go review transaction roll-ups
and CRDT's, the data structures of freedom.  See
https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/crdt.html and then use web 2.0 without
guilt until we can do better.  The rule of bootstrapping is to use the
merely sufficient to create the good.

Gitlab appears allright.  I had anxieties about losing familiarity
with Actions automations.  My default preference would have been
Github since, if we're making a relief valve, we should choose the
most popular relief valve and then adapt from there.  I read at least
one of RMS's ever abstract comments about ethics or something.  Github
or Gitlab etc is a tool.  Tools are meant to be used, even abused
without apology, to achieve ends.  We should prioritize mass of purity
over purity in spite of mass.  A pure but infinitesimal mass is but
the ghost of departed purity.

By the way, a template for a Gitlab repository creation would do
wonders for asking those using Github to move away.  I have created
such a template for https://github.com/positron-solutions/erk-basic
and continue to refine the critical pieces towards achieving
competitive parity with the Typescript folks at efficiently
promulgating their software.  Maintaining package headers and
upgrading the local linting and emacsen testing workflows are my
priorities for that package.  I support choice, and Gitlab seems to be
a choice we may see become popular in this ecosystem.

I dare mention there may have been some confusion around emojis.
People don't want to type "cat" to each other.  We want to press a cat
button on a message in order to create signal about how much attention
is flowing into a topic and how much excitement, consensus, and/or
contention is present without clogging up the pipes to say, "yeah, me
too."