This is a slight rework of my previous patch, incorporating some suggestions. Now the remapping is strictly only for display -- if lisp code wants to know about it, it has to look at the variable (`face-remapping-alist'). [It would probably be good if such functions as describe-face and perhaps customize-face would display a note when invoked on a remapped face.] BTW one very nice use I've found is for reading mail in gnus: (defun use-variable-pitch-default-face () (set (make-local-variable 'face-remappings) '((default variable-pitch)))) (add-hook 'gnus-article-mode-hook 'use-variable-pitch-default-face) Patch: