* Manual licenses
@ 2007-04-15  4:41 Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2007-04-15  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: belanger

I was looking at the documentation in the man directory, trying to
figure out if a copy of the GFDL needed to be included in the Calc
manual; I guess the answer is no, the manuals typically have a pointer
to the copy of the GFDL in the main Emacs manual.  (Such a pointer
will be added to the Calc manual copyright.)  But now I wonder if the
GPL should be part of the individual manuals?

A few other things I noticed, which may or may not be worth noting.
Several manuals have old dates on the cover page.  (Calc does, but I'm
going to remove that.)
The ERC manual is under the GFDL, but doesn't give a pointer to
a copy if it in the copyright notice.
A couple of manuals (dired-x, the faq) aren't under the GFDL.
A couple of manuals (flymake, newsticker) don't have an "@insertcopying"
line in the title page, so the copyright doesn't appear when they're
processed.  (I'd say the same about widget, but that doesn't have a
title page.)
A couple of manuals (pgg, url) have copyright notices which mention
that the GFDL is included as a section, but it isn't.

Jay

* Re: Manual licenses
@ 2007-04-15 19:01 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-04-15 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: belanger; +Cc: belanger, emacs-devel

Each manual should contain a copy of the GFDL, because we want them
to be separately distributable.

Can people please work on that, and the other points below?

But not this one:

      But now I wonder if the
    GPL should be part of the individual manuals?

Including the GPL in any given manual is entirely optional.

    A few other things I noticed, which may or may not be worth noting.
    Several manuals have old dates on the cover page.  (Calc does, but I'm
    going to remove that.)
    The ERC manual is under the GFDL, but doesn't give a pointer to
    a copy if it in the copyright notice.
    A couple of manuals (dired-x, the faq) aren't under the GFDL.
    A couple of manuals (flymake, newsticker) don't have an "@insertcopying"
    line in the title page, so the copyright doesn't appear when they're
    processed.  (I'd say the same about widget, but that doesn't have a
    title page.)
    A couple of manuals (pgg, url) have copyright notices which mention
    that the GFDL is included as a section, but it isn't.

Thank you for noticing these points.  We need to fix them all
before the release.

* Re: Manual licenses
@ 2007-04-15 21:24   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2007-04-15 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: belanger, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Each manual should contain a copy of the GFDL, because we want them
> to be separately distributable.
>
> Can people please work on that

Fixed.

> and the other points below?
>
>     A few other things I noticed, which may or may not be worth noting.
>     Several manuals have old dates on the cover page.  (Calc does, but I'm
>     going to remove that.)

Fixed.

>     The ERC manual is under the GFDL, but doesn't give a pointer to
>     a copy if it in the copyright notice.

Fixed.

>     A couple of manuals (dired-x, the faq) aren't under the GFDL.

I went ahead and relicensed dired-x.  Do we can to relicense the FAQ?
It seem to have a special-purpose license, and to be deliberately not
under the GFDL.

>     A couple of manuals (flymake, newsticker) don't have an "@insertcopying"
>     line in the title page, so the copyright doesn't appear when they're
>     processed.  (I'd say the same about widget, but that doesn't have a
>     title page.)

Fixed.

@ 2007-04-16 15:37     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-04-16 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: belanger, emacs-devel

    >     A couple of manuals (dired-x, the faq) aren't under the GFDL.

    I went ahead and relicensed dired-x.  Do we can to relicense the FAQ?
    It seem to have a special-purpose license, and to be deliberately not
    under the GFDL.

The FAQ does have its other license deliberately.  I am not sure why.
But we may as well leave it alone.