* view-lossage should be certain to show last keystrokes
@ 2007-10-23 23:29 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2007-10-23 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Got an idea: view-lossage should put the cursor at the end of the
buffer it shows. The user is of course interested in what he just
typed. Therefore make sure the end of the *Help* buffer produced is
visible, please. Don't assume all 100 input keystrokes will fit in the
visible window these days.

* Re: view-lossage should be certain to show last keystrokes
@ 2007-10-24  8:33 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-10-24  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Got an idea: view-lossage should put the cursor at the end of the
    buffer it shows.

Sounds good to me.

* Re: view-lossage should be certain to show last keystrokes
@ 2007-10-24 19:19   ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2007-10-24 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

D>     Got an idea: view-lossage should put the cursor at the end of the
D>     buffer it shows.

r> Sounds good to me.

And
  C-h e runs the command view-echo-area-messages
should do so also.

* Re: view-lossage should be certain to show last keystrokes
@ 2007-10-27  8:35     ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-10-27  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: emacs-devel

> D>     Got an idea: view-lossage should put the cursor at the end of the
> D>     buffer it shows.
>
> r> Sounds good to me.
>
> And
>   C-h e runs the command view-echo-area-messages
> should do so also.

C-h e just displays the *Messages* buffer.  Usually the cursor _is_ at
its end.  Do you want `view-echo-area-messages' to forcefully move the
cursor to `point-max' when you "manually" moved it to another position
before?

* Re: view-lossage should be certain to show last keystrokes
@ 2007-10-28 17:57       ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2007-10-28 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

mr> C-h e just displays the *Messages* buffer.  Usually the cursor _is_ at
mr> its end.  Do you want `view-echo-area-messages' to forcefully move the
mr> cursor to `point-max' when you "manually" moved it to another position
mr> before?

All I know is after I start emacs and then do C-h e, the cursor is at
the  "@", not at the end,

unless I do emacs -Q.

I use http://jidanni.org/comp/.emacs

* Re: view-lossage should be certain to show last keystrokes
@ 2007-10-29  7:27         ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-10-29  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > mr> C-h e just displays the *Messages* buffer.  Usually the cursor _is_ at
 > mr> its end.  Do you want `view-echo-area-messages' to forcefully move the
 > mr> cursor to `point-max' when you "manually" moved it to another position
 > mr> before?
 >
 > All I know is after I start emacs and then do C-h e, the cursor is at
 > the  "@", not at the end,

Where is the cursor when you select *Messages* manually or do a

(switch-to-buffer "*Messages*")

at the end of your .emacs?

Could you tell whether the cursor is always at the same "window" line of
*Messages* or at the same "contextual" line of *Messages* (say, always
at the line starting with

or always at the line preceding

...)?  You could, for example, ask .emacs to display a message before
ffap gets loaded.

* Re: view-echo-area-messages should show last messages
@ 2007-10-29 19:08           ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2007-10-29 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-devel

mr> Where is the cursor when you select *Messages* manually or do a
mr> (switch-to-buffer "*Messages*")
mr> at the end of your .emacs?
http://jidanni.org/comp/.emacs already leaves the user starting at *Messages*.
Just perhaps use a few (require ... NOERROR) and give it a whirl.

mr> ...)?  You could, for example, ask .emacs to display a message before
mr> ffap gets loaded.

I tried some (message "bla") but it seems hard to tell...

P.S., I hope somebody remembers to implement the previous
"view-lossage should be certain to show last keystrokes" (C-h l)
Subject that I have just changed above.

* Re: view-echo-area-messages should show last messages
@ 2007-10-30 16:24             ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-10-30 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: emacs-devel

> mr> Where is the cursor when you select *Messages* manually or do a
> mr> (switch-to-buffer "*Messages*")
> mr> at the end of your .emacs?

> http://jidanni.org/comp/.emacs already leaves the user starting at *Messages*.
> Just perhaps use a few (require ... NOERROR) and give it a whirl.

Too complicated.  Maybe someone on GNU/Linux can try.

> mr> ...)?  You could, for example, ask .emacs to display a message before
> mr> ffap gets loaded.
>
> I tried some (message "bla") but it seems hard to tell...

OK.  Try to remove as few lines as possible from the end of
your .emacs until you get the cursor at the end of *Messages*.

> P.S., I hope somebody remembers to implement the previous
> "view-lossage should be certain to show last keystrokes" (C-h l)
> Subject that I have just changed above.

I've already done that on my system ;-)