* Info-copy-current-node-name readability
@ 2007-11-03 21:36 Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2007-11-03 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

any objections to this small change to add a space
between the filename and nodename?

 before -- "(elisp)Documentation Tips"
  after -- "(elisp) Documentation Tips"

seems to me more readable this way.

thi

*** info.el	28 Aug 2007 10:15:23 -0000	1.505
--- info.el	3 Nov 2007 21:29:46 -0000
***************
*** 3353,3359 ****
    (unless Info-current-node
      (error "No current Info node"))
    (let ((node (if (stringp Info-current-file)
! 		  (concat "(" (file-name-nondirectory Info-current-file) ")"
  			  Info-current-node))))
      (if (zerop (prefix-numeric-value arg))
          (setq node (concat "(info \"" node "\")")))
--- 3353,3359 ----
    (unless Info-current-node
      (error "No current Info node"))
    (let ((node (if (stringp Info-current-file)
! 		  (concat "(" (file-name-nondirectory Info-current-file) ") "
  			  Info-current-node))))
      (if (zerop (prefix-numeric-value arg))
          (setq node (concat "(info \"" node "\")")))

* Re: Info-copy-current-node-name readability
@ 2007-11-04  1:47 ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2007-11-04  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ttn; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

   any objections to this small change to add a space
   between the filename and nodename?

    before -- "(elisp)Documentation Tips"
     after -- "(elisp) Documentation Tips"

   seems to me more readable this way.

Yes.  This is about copying and pasting, not about readability.

Sincerely,

Luc Teirlinck.

* Re: Info-copy-current-node-name readability
@ 2007-11-04  1:54 ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2007-11-04  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ttn; +Cc: emacs-devel

From my previous reply:

      any objections to this small change to add a space
      between the filename and nodename?

       before -- "(elisp)Documentation Tips"
	after -- "(elisp) Documentation Tips"

      seems to me more readable this way.

   Yes.  This is about copying and pasting, not about readability.

To avoid confusion:

The "Yes" was an anwer to the first question, so means: "yes, there are
objections".

Sincerely,

Luc Teirlinck.

* Re: Info-copy-current-node-name readability
@ 2007-11-04  1:56   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-11-04  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luc Teirlinck; +Cc: ttn, emacs-devel

Luc Teirlinck wrote:
> Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
>
>    any objections to this small change to add a space
>    between the filename and nodename?
>
>     before -- "(elisp)Documentation Tips"
>      after -- "(elisp) Documentation Tips"
>
>    seems to me more readable this way.
>
> Yes.  This is about copying and pasting, not about readability.

But both format works with info, try:

   (info "(elisp) Documentation Type")

* Re: Info-copy-current-node-name readability
@ 2007-11-04  3:58   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-11-04  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luc Teirlinck; +Cc: ttn, emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 20:47:58 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <teirllm@dms.auburn.edu>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
>
>    any objections to this small change to add a space
>    between the filename and nodename?
>
>     before -- "(elisp)Documentation Tips"
>      after -- "(elisp) Documentation Tips"
>
>    seems to me more readable this way.
>
> Yes.  This is about copying and pasting, not about readability.

I think ttm was talking about readability of the text into which you
paste the reference to the Info node.

* Re: Info-copy-current-node-name readability
@ 2007-11-06  0:46     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2007-11-06  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: teirllm, ttn, emacs-devel

>>    any objections to this small change to add a space
>>    between the filename and nodename?
>>
>>     before -- "(elisp)Documentation Tips"
>>      after -- "(elisp) Documentation Tips"
>>
>>    seems to me more readable this way.
>>
>> Yes.  This is about copying and pasting, not about readability.
>
> I think ttm was talking about readability of the text into which you
> paste the reference to the Info node.

It seems one reason to use this format in the text with Info references is
because the node name is already displayed with a space in the mode-line,
e.g.:

--:%%-  *info* (elisp) Documentation Tips    Top (1,0)    (Info Narrow)---
                      ^
                  space

So this format will be the same in the mode-line and in text references.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: Info-copy-current-node-name readability
@ 2007-11-06  0:58       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2007-11-06  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, teirllm, ttn, emacs-devel

I dunno, I dislike the space because the no-space version looks more
like a parseable  name.  The with-space version looks more like
something someone typed in for human consumption.  So I think the lack
of space is a useful reminder to newbies.

-Miles

--
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
-Oscar Wilde