* 23.0.50; Small problems with doc-view.el
@ 2008-01-08 22:40 Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-01-08 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

Hello!

It's possible to open an archive file (tar, zip, ...) in GNU Emacs.
It's also possible to press v (to visit) or e (to extract) a file
from the archive. If this file is for example a PDF file, all fails –
because there is nothing that could be converted? And *doc-view
conversion output* is empty. *Messages* (and the echo-area) contains:

	File mode specification error: (file-error "Opening input file" "no
such file or directory" ".../Archive.tar.gz!directory/doc/file.pdf")

Instead, when pressing ``e´´ or ``E´´ or ``f´´ or ``o´´ or RET or
mouse-2, doc-view creates a large buffer ``file.pdf (Archive.tar.gz)
´´ in DocView mode that just contains the welcome message plus the
three options to handle the case, of which ``K´´ does not do
anything, ``q´´ and ``k´´ work as advertised.

When typing ``v´´ to visit the PDF file and then pressing ``q´´ the
buffer with directory view of the archive gets completely cleaned. ``g
´´ to revert the archive works and re-establishes the directory view.

I think doc-view should be automatically switched off when in an
archive ...

In GNU Emacs 23.0.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, X toolkit, Xaw3d
scroll bars)
  of 2008-01-05 on Latsche.local
Windowing system distributor `The XFree86 Project, Inc', version
11.0.40400000
configured using `configure  '--with-dbus' '--without-sound' '--
without-pop' '--with-xpm' '--with-jpeg' '--with-tiff' '--with-gif' '--
with-png' '--with-x-toolkit=athena' '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/
Application Support/Emacs/calendar22:/Library/Application Support/
Emacs/caml:/Library/Application Support/Emacs:/sw/share/emacs21/site-
lisp/elib' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/freetype219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/
fontconfig2/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/
sw/lib/system-openssl/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/
pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/clamXav/lib/pkgconfig'
'CFLAGS=-Wno-pointer-sign -bind_at_load -pipe -fPIC -mcpu=7450 -
mtune=7450 -fast -mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize -foptimize-register-
move -freorder-blocks -freorder-blocks-and-partition -fthread-jumps -
fpeephole -fno-crossjumping' 'CPPFLAGS=-no-cpp-precomp -I/usr/include/
openssl -I/sw/include/pango-1.0 -I/sw/lib/freetype219/include -I/sw/
lib/freetype219/include/freetype2 -I/sw/lib/fontconfig2/include -I/sw/
include -I/usr/local/include -idirafter /usr/X11R6/include' 'LDFLAGS=-
dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress -L/sw/lib/ncurses -L/sw/lib/
freetype219/lib -L/sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib -L/sw/lib -L/usr/local/lib -
L/usr/X11R6/lib''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
   outline-minor-mode: t
   TeX-PDF-mode: t
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   desktop-save-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
   utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   view-mode: t

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

* Re: 23.0.50; Small problems with doc-view.el
@ 2008-01-09  9:04 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-01-09  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi Pete,

I'm digging into that right now.  I think I can make it work with docs
inside archive files.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: 23.0.50; Small problems with doc-view.el
@ 2008-01-09 10:30   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-01-09 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Myself wrote:

> I'm digging into that right now.  I think I can make it work with docs
> inside archive files.

I tested it briefly, and it seems to work quite well.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: 23.0.50; Small problems with doc-view.el
@ 2008-01-09 15:03     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-01-09 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> I'm digging into that right now.  I think I can make it work with docs
>> inside archive files.
> I tested it briefly, and it seems to work quite well.

Does it also work for files accessed via Tramp, now?

* Re: 23.0.50; Small problems with doc-view.el
@ 2008-01-09 15:59       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-01-09 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi Stefan,

> Does it also work for files accessed via Tramp, now?

No.  Currently I simply create and write buffer-file-name, if it doesn't
exist.  For archives that's something like

  /path/to/archive.tar.gz!/path/in/archive/doc.pdf.

For tramp files that doesn't work.  I guess I should change that to save
the file somewhere in /tmp.  Maybe I can look into that later today.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: 23.0.50; Small problems with doc-view.el
@ 2008-01-09 20:34       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-01-09 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi Stefan,

> Does it also work for files accessed via Tramp, now?

Yes, now it does.  But it looses the connection to the original remote
file, so if you open a remote pdf and do C-c C-c to edit it, these
changes won't be propagated back to the remote host.  The same applies
to compressed documents and documents in archives.

If you edit a remote PS file with tramp C-x C-s will save the updated
file to the remote host.  But as soon as you hit C-c C-c the current
buffer contents are saved to a file in doc-view-cache-directory which is
then converted.  Switching back to editing will open that file instead
of the original file.  That might be a problem...

And when opening a pdf that's inside an archive the doc-view buffer
won't be read-only.  I don't have any clue what's the problem here.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: 23.0.50; Small problems with doc-view.el
@ 2008-01-10  2:01         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-01-10  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> Does it also work for files accessed via Tramp, now?

> Yes, now it does.  But it looses the connection to the original remote
> file, so if you open a remote pdf and do C-c C-c to edit it, these
> changes won't be propagated back to the remote host.  The same applies
> to compressed documents and documents in archives.

> If you edit a remote PS file with tramp C-x C-s will save the updated
> file to the remote host.  But as soon as you hit C-c C-c the current
> buffer contents are saved to a file in doc-view-cache-directory which is
> then converted.  Switching back to editing will open that file instead
> of the original file.  That might be a problem...

Indeed, that's not a feature.  Why is that?  Can't you just save the
buffer's contents to some temp local file and save the name of that file
to doc-view-buffer-file-name or somesuch?

* Re: 23.0.50; Small problems with doc-view.el
@ 2008-01-10 11:24           ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-01-10 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi Stefan,

>> If you edit a remote PS file with tramp C-x C-s will save the updated
>> file to the remote host.  But as soon as you hit C-c C-c the current
>> buffer contents are saved to a file in doc-view-cache-directory which
>> is then converted.  Switching back to editing will open that file
>> instead of the original file.  That might be a problem...
>
> Indeed, that's not a feature.  Why is that?  Can't you just save the
> buffer's contents to some temp local file and save the name of that
> file to doc-view-buffer-file-name or somesuch?

Yes, I've thought about that, too and it seems feasible.  Hopefully I'll
come to implement that today.

Bye,
Tassilo