* 23 and multi-tty
@ 2008-05-18  0:07 reader
From: reader @ 2008-05-18  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Sorry to come in here with a question like this but it seems it
belongs here better than anywhere else.

I understood version 23 had built in support for multi-tty.  Are there
versions of 23 that do not?

The reason I ask is I recently installed version 23 on a gentoo linux
os but when I run it I cannot find anything about multi-tty

This is on version:
 GNU Emacs 23.0.60.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit) of 2008-05-17
 on reader

Not even an apropos search with multi.*tty

Is it called something else?

NOTE:
To make sure I'm getting the right info pages:

cd /usr/share/info/emacs-23
C-u C-h i emacs.info.bz2
Then I find nothing with index search on multi-tty or `s' (full regex
search) with multi.*tty

Nothing at M-x apropos with multi.*tty  either

* Re: 23 and multi-tty
@ 2008-05-18  0:34 ` Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2008-05-18  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

    reader> The reason I ask is I recently installed version 23 on a
    reader> gentoo linux os but when I run it I cannot find anything
    reader> about multi-tty

    reader> Not even an apropos search with multi.*tty

    reader> Is it called something else?

Try starting Emacs in console mode, in a terminal emulator running under
X, and then doing something like M-x make-frame-on-display RET :0 RET.
If things are working, that will create a new X window with an Emacs
frame in it; if not, not.

--
It has been suggested that this article or section be merged
into Fried dough. (Discuss)

* Re: 23 and multi-tty
@ 2008-05-18  2:44   ` reader
From: reader @ 2008-05-18  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net> writes:

>     reader> The reason I ask is I recently installed version 23 on a
>     reader> gentoo linux os but when I run it I cannot find anything
>     reader> about multi-tty
>
>     reader> Not even an apropos search with multi.*tty
>
>     reader> Is it called something else?
>
> Try starting Emacs in console mode, in a terminal emulator running under
> X, and then doing something like M-x make-frame-on-display RET :0 RET.
> If things are working, that will create a new X window with an Emacs
> frame in it; if not, not.

I'm not where I can do that right now but are there no commands
involving the multi-tty functionality or some variables that can be
turned up with C-h v? I mean ... I find nothing whatever in the
documentation

No M-x something.  Is there no information about it included in the
distribution of version 23?

Can you or someone answer my first questions... are there versions
that do not contain the multi-tty functionality?

Is called something else... how can I look up documentation about
using it?

* Re: 23 and multi-tty
@ 2008-05-18  3:52 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-05-18  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: reader; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Not even an apropos search with multi.*tty
> Is it called something else?

C-h N

* Re: 23 and multi-tty
@ 2008-05-18  8:47     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2008-05-18  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: reader; +Cc: emacs-devel

reader@newsguy.com wrote:
> No M-x something.  Is there no information about it included in the
> distribution of version 23?

There is no distribution of version 23. Version 23 is currently under
development, and unfinished, especially with respect to documentation.

* Re: 23 and multi-tty
@ 2008-05-18 11:12   ` reader
From: reader @ 2008-05-18 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

>> Not even an apropos search with multi.*tty
>> Is it called something else?
>
> C-h N

Thanks ... I found it.
** Emacs now supports using both X displays and ttys in one session.
[...]

Where can I find a discussion or more info about how to use this
feature?

For example:  On box1 emacs-23 is running with the server started and
a gnus session started.

How can I interact with the gnus session when I ssh to box1 from
remote box2?

* Re: 23 and multi-tty
@ 2008-05-19  8:52     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-05-19  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

,----[ (info "(emacs)Emacs Server") ]
|    You can arrange to use your existing Emacs process as the editor
| for programs like `mail' by using the Emacs client program and the
| server that is part of Emacs.  Here is how.
`----

These docs are a bit outdated and don't mention some of the new
emacsclient options, but most things should be still correct.

> For example: On box1 emacs-23 is running with the server started and a
> gnus session started.
>
> How can I interact with the gnus session when I ssh to box1 from
> remote box2?

box2$ ssh box1
box1$ emacsclient -t
(This opens a new console emacs frame)