* fringe symbol for newline
@ 2008-07-09 14:28 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2008-07-09 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

Now that we have improved wrapping to support DTWW, it would be nice
if the fringe could mark visual lines that end with a newline.
Currently, we can only mark continuations, but given that
continuations are rather common, and lines with a newline at the end
more rare (marking the end of paragraphs), I would much prefer to mark
the exceptional lines.

This would provide analogous functionality to longlines-show-hard-
newlines in longlines-mode.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: fringe symbol for newline
@ 2008-07-10  3:06 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-07-10  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:
> Now that we have improved wrapping to support DTWW, it would be nice if
> the fringe could mark visual lines that end with a newline.

Note that you can rather easily cause a special symbol (e.g. ¶, ↲, or
what-have-you) to be displayed before newlines, using the display-table.

That seems to be what most other apps do anyway (rather than putting
something "in the fringe")?

-Miles

--
Defenceless, adj. Unable to attack.

* Re: fringe symbol for newline
@ 2008-07-10 11:20   ` Vinicius Jose Latorre
From: Vinicius Jose Latorre @ 2008-07-10 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: David Reitter, Emacs-Devel devel

Miles Bader wrote:
> David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Now that we have improved wrapping to support DTWW, it would be nice if
>> the fringe could mark visual lines that end with a newline.
>>

> Note that you can rather easily cause a special symbol (e.g. ¶, ↲, or
> what-have-you) to be displayed before newlines, using the display-table.
>
> That seems to be what most other apps do anyway (rather than putting
> something "in the fringe")?

Yes, please, see the whitespace.el package.

* Re: fringe symbol for newline
@ 2008-07-10 18:40   ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2008-07-10 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

On 9 Jul 2008, at 23:06, Miles Bader wrote:

> David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:
>> Now that we have improved wrapping to support DTWW, it would be
>> nice if
>> the fringe could mark visual lines that end with a newline.
>
> Note that you can rather easily cause a special symbol (e.g. ¶, ↲,
> or
> what-have-you) to be displayed before newlines, using the display-
> table.
>
> That seems to be what most other apps do anyway (rather than putting
> something "in the fringe")?

Right, and they also don't have fringes (at least not used for similar
purposes).

That said, below is some code that does this for me (put together from
code by Drew Adams and whitespace.el).
It's not simple enough for your average user to do this, and since
it's a standard function in other editors, I would like to see this as
a simple-to-enable standard function in 23, possibly even with an
entry in the Options menu.  (I couldn't make whitespace (in 22) do the
same.)

Also, I'd still prefer this to be in the fringe. It's a lot less
intrusive.  You need this sort of information only occasionally.

(defface blank-newline
   '((((class color) (background dark))
      (:foreground "lightgrey" :bold t))
     (((class color) (background light))
      ( :foreground "lightgrey" :bold t))
     (t (:bold t :underline t)))
   "Face used to visualize NEWLINE char mapping.

See `blank-display-mappings'."
   :group 'blank)

;; 2230 = \x8B6
(setq buffer-display-table (make-display-table))
(aset buffer-display-table 10 (vector  32 (make-glyph-code  2230
						 'blank-newline) 10))

@ 2008-07-10 20:04     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-10 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel, Miles Bader

> Also, I'd still prefer this to be in the fringe. It's a lot less
> intrusive.  You need this sort of information only occasionally.

Yes, it is less intrusive in the fringe.  Everyone who wants to display
more intrusive ¶ before newlines can activate whitespace-mode.

> (defface blank-newline
>   '((((class color) (background dark))
>      (:foreground "lightgrey" :bold t))
>     (((class color) (background light))
>      ( :foreground "lightgrey" :bold t))
>     (t (:bold t :underline t)))
>   "Face used to visualize NEWLINE char mapping.
>
> See `blank-display-mappings'."
>   :group 'blank)
>
> ;; 2230 = \x8B6

It is 182 = ?\xB6 in Emacs 23.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: fringe symbol for newline
@ 2008-07-10 22:37     ` Vinicius Jose Latorre
From: Vinicius Jose Latorre @ 2008-07-10 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel, Miles Bader

David Reitter wrote:
> On 9 Jul 2008, at 23:06, Miles Bader wrote:
>
>> David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Now that we have improved wrapping to support DTWW, it would be nice if
>>> the fringe could mark visual lines that end with a newline.
>>
>> Note that you can rather easily cause a special symbol (e.g. ¶, ↲, or
>> what-have-you) to be displayed before newlines, using the display-table.
>>
>> That seems to be what most other apps do anyway (rather than putting
>> something "in the fringe")?
>
> Right, and they also don't have fringes (at least not used for similar
> purposes).

Hmmmm, ok, how do the symbols look in the fringe?

That is, I was thinking something like:

| LF                       RF | COMMENT
| | This is a short line.     | a short line (short symbol)
|                             | an empty line (no symbol)
| + This is a very very ver < | starts a very long line (begin symbol)
| > y long line that finish < | middle of a very long line (middle symbol)
| - s here.                   | ends a very long line (end symbol)

Where, RF means Right Fringe and LF means Left Fringe.

But it seems that David's suggestion is:

| LF                       RF | COMMENT
|   This is a short line.     | a short line
| |                           | an empty line (paragraph symbol)
|   This is a very very ver < | starts a very long line
| > y long line that finish < | middle of a very long line
|   s here.                   | ends a very long line

> That said, below is some code that does this for me (put together from
> code by Drew Adams and whitespace.el).
> It's not simple enough for your average user to do this, and since
> it's a standard function in other editors, I would like to see this as
> a simple-to-enable standard function in 23, possibly even with an
> entry in the Options menu.  (I couldn't make whitespace (in 22) do the
> same.)

Well, to use whitespace package in Emacs 21 and/or 22, please, download
it from the EmacsWiki:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/download/whitespace.el

This version is prepared to run in Emacs 21, 22 and 23.

> Also, I'd still prefer this to be in the fringe. It's a lot less
> intrusive.  You need this sort of information only occasionally.

Well, indeed it's less intrusive.

* Re: fringe symbol for newline
@ 2008-07-10 23:03       ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-10 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinicius Jose Latorre; +Cc: David Reitter, emacs-devel, Miles Bader

> Hmmmm, ok, how do the symbols look in the fringe?
>
> That is, I was thinking something like:
>
> | LF                       RF | COMMENT
> | | This is a short line.     | a short line (short symbol)
> |                             | an empty line (no symbol)
> | + This is a very very ver < | starts a very long line (begin symbol)
> | > y long line that finish < | middle of a very long line (middle symbol)
> | - s here.                   | ends a very long line (end symbol)
>
> Where, RF means Right Fringe and LF means Left Fringe.
>
> But it seems that David's suggestion is:
>
> | LF                       RF | COMMENT
> |   This is a short line.     | a short line
> | |                           | an empty line (paragraph symbol)
> |   This is a very very ver < | starts a very long line
> | > y long line that finish < | middle of a very long line
> |   s here.                   | ends a very long line

I thought that a suggested variant was rather like:

> | LF                       RF | COMMENT
> |   This is a short line.   ¶ | ends a short line (paragraph symbol)
> |                             | an empty line
> |   This is a very very ver   | starts a very long line
> |   y long line that finish   | middle of a very long line
> |   s here.                 ¶ | ends a very long line (paragraph symbol)

i.e. just like `(aset buffer-display-table 10 (vector 32 2230 10))',
but with the paragraph symbol in the fringe instead of the buffer.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: fringe symbol for newline
@ 2008-07-10 23:58         ` Vinicius Jose Latorre
From: Vinicius Jose Latorre @ 2008-07-10 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: David Reitter, emacs-devel, Miles Bader

Juri Linkov wrote:
>> Hmmmm, ok, how do the symbols look in the fringe?
>>
>> That is, I was thinking something like:
>>
>> | LF                       RF | COMMENT
>> |                             | an empty line (no symbol)
>> | + This is a very very ver < | starts a very long line (begin symbol)
>> | - s here.                   | ends a very long line (end symbol)
>>
>> Where, RF means Right Fringe and LF means Left Fringe.
>>
>> But it seems that David's suggestion is:
>>
>> | LF                       RF | COMMENT
>> |   This is a short line.     | a short line
>> |   This is a very very ver < | starts a very long line
>> |   s here.                   | ends a very long line
>>

> I thought that a suggested variant was rather like:
>

>> | LF                       RF | COMMENT
>> |   This is a short line.   ¶ | ends a short line (paragraph symbol)
>> |                             | an empty line
>> |   This is a very very ver   | starts a very long line
>> |   y long line that finish   | middle of a very long line
>> |   s here.                 ¶ | ends a very long line (paragraph symbol)
>>

> i.e. just like `(aset buffer-display-table 10 (vector 32 2230 10))',
> but with the paragraph symbol in the fringe instead of the buffer.

Indeed, hmmmm, so the suggestion should be (marking all line which ends
with newline):