* Codepage stuff in mm-util.el
@ 2016-02-14  3:13 Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-14  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Katsumi Yamaoka

There's a lot of functions and variables dealing with code pages in
mm-util.el.  Reading the comments in the code and grepping for the
functions that it eventually calls, I get the feeling that this has all
been made obsolete in Emacs 25?  Is that correct?

Below are snippets from most of these functions.

(defun mm-codepage-setup (number &optional alias)

[...]

	 (candidates (if (fboundp 'cp-supported-codepages)
			 (cp-supported-codepages)
		       ;; Removed in Emacs 23 (unicode), so signal an error:
		       (error "`codepage-setup' not present in this Emacs version"))))
     (list (gnus-completing-read "Setup DOS Codepage" candidates

[...]

(defcustom mm-codepage-iso-8859-list
  (list 1250 ;; Windows-1250 is a variant of Latin-2 heavily used by Microsoft
	;; Outlook users in Czech republic.  Use this to allow reading of

[...]

(defcustom mm-codepage-ibm-list
  (list 437 ;; (US etc.)
	860 ;; (Portugal)
	861 ;; (Iceland)

[...]

  ;; In Emacs 23 (unicode), cp... and ibm... are aliases.
  ;; Cf. http://thread.gmane.org/v9lkng5nwy.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de
  "List of IBM codepage numbers.

[...]

(defun mm-setup-codepage-iso-8859 (&optional list)
  "Add appropriate entries to `mm-charset-synonym-alist'.

[...]

(defun mm-setup-codepage-ibm (&optional list)
  "Add appropriate entries to `mm-charset-synonym-alist'.

[...]

;; Note: this has to be defined before `mm-charset-to-coding-system'.
(defcustom mm-charset-eval-alist
  '(
    ;; Emacs 22 provides autoloads for 1250-1258
    ;; (i.e. `mm-codepage-setup' does nothing).
    (windows-1250 . (mm-codepage-setup 1250 t))
    (windows-1251 . (mm-codepage-setup 1251 t))

[...]

(defun mm-charset-to-coding-system (charset &optional lbt
					    allow-override silent)
  "Return coding-system corresponding to CHARSET.

* Re: Codepage stuff in mm-util.el
@ 2016-02-14  5:59 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-02-14  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: yamaoka, emacs-devel

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 14:13:21 +1100
> Cc: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
>
> There's a lot of functions and variables dealing with code pages in
> mm-util.el.  Reading the comments in the code and grepping for the
> functions that it eventually calls, I get the feeling that this has all
> been made obsolete in Emacs 25?  Is that correct?

More like in Emacs 23, or thereabouts.  All the stuff that deals with
codepage setup is obsolete since ages ago.  You can now use any
codepage right from the start, they are all "set up".

* Re: Codepage stuff in mm-util.el
@ 2016-02-14  6:10   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-14  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: yamaoka, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> More like in Emacs 23, or thereabouts.  All the stuff that deals with
> codepage setup is obsolete since ages ago.  You can now use any
> codepage right from the start, they are all "set up".

Ok, I'll try to excise that code and see whether anything breaks.  The
calling sequence between the functions and variables involved is kinda
complicated...