* TRAMP sudo in emacs27?
@ 2019-02-24 23:15 beoram
From: beoram @ 2019-02-24 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

When I try to use Tramp's sudo in emacs27, including not but limited to
through eshell, it seems to hang indefinitely, and I have to cancel out
of it with C-g. I turned up the verbosity of Tramp, but I don't find the
messages very revealing:

Tramp: Sending command ‘exec env SHELL=/bin/sh sudo -u root -s -H -p P""a""s""s""w""o""r""d"":’
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...
Tramp: Sending Password
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...failed

* Re: TRAMP sudo in emacs27?
@ 2019-02-25  9:02 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2019-02-25  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: beoram; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

beoram@gmail.com writes:

> When I try to use Tramp's sudo in emacs27, including not but limited to
> through eshell, it seems to hang indefinitely, and I have to cancel out
> of it with C-g. I turned up the verbosity of Tramp, but I don't find the
> messages very revealing:
>
> Tramp: Sending command ‘exec env SHELL=/bin/sh sudo -u root -s -H -p P""a""s""s""w""o""r""d"":’
> Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...
> Tramp: Sending Password
> Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...failed

It should still work- Set tramp-verbose to 10, rerun your test (starting
with "emacs -Q"), tell us your steps to reproduce the problem, and show
the Tramp traces.

Preferred as Emacs bug report; Tramp traces shall not swamp the
emacs-devel ML :-)

Best regards, Michael.