* Re: master 7df302d285 2/2: Remove some XEmacs compat code from pascal.el
       [not found] ` <20220513123522.302F5C01686@vcs2.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2022-05-13 13:02   ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-05-13 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Stefan Kangas

> branch: master
> commit 7df302d2859b5fa8924b9b2b2dea90fe9f2002b9
> Author: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
> Commit: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
>
>     Remove some XEmacs compat code from pascal.el
>
>     * lisp/progmodes/pascal.el (pascal-outline-map): Remove XEmacs compat
>     code.

Did someone test to make sure that pascal.el doesn't otherwise work with
XEmacs (and its sibling SXEmacs) anymore?

I think some people are still using the latter.

* Re: master 7df302d285 2/2: Remove some XEmacs compat code from pascal.el
@ 2022-05-13 13:29     ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2022-05-13 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Emacs developers

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Did someone test to make sure that pascal.el doesn't otherwise work with
> XEmacs (and its sibling SXEmacs) anymore?

No, I don't think we care about that.  We have been routinely removing
such compat code all over the place for several years now.

IMHO, any XEmacs/SXEmacs users out there should consider using Emacs instead.

See also:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-10/msg01211.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-10/msg01294.html

* Re: master 7df302d285 2/2: Remove some XEmacs compat code from pascal.el
@ 2022-05-13 13:42       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-05-13 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: Po Lu, Emacs developers

Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> writes:

>> Did someone test to make sure that pascal.el doesn't otherwise work with
>> XEmacs (and its sibling SXEmacs) anymore?
>
> No, I don't think we care about that.  We have been routinely removing
> such compat code all over the place for several years now.

Yup.

* Re: master 7df302d285 2/2: Remove some XEmacs compat code from pascal.el
@ 2022-05-13 13:46       ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-05-13 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: Emacs developers

Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> writes:

> No, I don't think we care about that.  We have been routinely removing
> such compat code all over the place for several years now.

Don't we have lots of compat code in things like CC Mode which continue
to work in XEmacs?  The last time I checked, CC Mode does work, but that
was before it was converted to lexical binding.

> IMHO, any XEmacs/SXEmacs users out there should consider using Emacs instead.
>
> See also:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-10/msg01211.html
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-10/msg01294.html

I think the conclusion there was to let people working on the file
decide whether or not to keep support for XEmacs.  So the question is
probably where those people are for pascal.el, and what they think.

* Re: master 7df302d285 2/2: Remove some XEmacs compat code from pascal.el
@ 2022-05-13 13:57         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-05-13 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Stefan Kangas, Emacs developers

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Don't we have lots of compat code in things like CC Mode which continue
> to work in XEmacs?  The last time I checked, CC Mode does work, but that
> was before it was converted to lexical binding.

Packages that are distributed outside the Emacs trunk (too) set their
own rules for this stuff.

> I think the conclusion there was to let people working on the file
> decide whether or not to keep support for XEmacs.  So the question is
> probably where those people are for pascal.el, and what they think.

Those people are us (which in this case is Stefan).

* Re: master 7df302d285 2/2: Remove some XEmacs compat code from pascal.el
@ 2022-05-13 14:24     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-05-13 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel, Stefan Kangas

Po Lu [2022-05-13 21:02:13] wrote:
> Did someone test to make sure that pascal.el doesn't otherwise work with
> XEmacs (and its sibling SXEmacs) anymore?

They don't use our code, so the only reason to keep XEmacs compatibility
code is to ease synchronization with some version of the same code
maintained elsewhere (like we do with CC-mode).
AFAIK `pascal.el` is not developed/maintained anywhere else than here.