Hi, So I digged into the log and found that `inhibit--record-char' was obsoleted in bd5c740419. The reason seems to be that "quail.el" was the last user of this variable and use it to inhibit a second recording after the first one. AFAIU, quail.el now have function (quail-add-unread-command-events) that put a copy of those events with 'no-record into unread-command-events to have this behaviour. I was not able to do the same when reading password (there is just one read_char involved), so as Eli suggested, I choose to un-obsolete `inhibit--record-char' and use it in `read-passwd' only.