* fun-names
@ 2024-08-15 22:23 Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2024-08-15 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel

Well, are you gonna add it or not?

RMS likes it [1] and no one has objected.

It is a new algorithm, a new application - that sometimes
outperforms core Emacs and apropos [2] - and, as you say, it
is a new UI.

That combination isn't easy to do. Many packages on ELPA
cannot say that for themselves.

The algorithm is also interesting in its own right and it is
exactly fitting to the way we name things in Emacs, with long
prefixes that go from generic to specific using whole, normal
English words.

As for integrating with core Emacs, sure, but who is going to
do that? Unless you, I or someone we know says he/she will do
it, it won't happen. Besides, ELPA is closer to Emacs than my
server so if anything, that is another reason to do it.

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2024-07/msg01205.html

[2] Example. Do M-x fun-names RET pick gnus server RET and you
    see a 100% match on `gnus-server-pick-server'. Do
    C-h a RET gnus pick server RET and it appears line 453.

POS             SYMBOL             WRDS  H  P
 1. gnus-server-pick-server        1.00
 2. gnus-server-server-menu        0.71  1  1
 3. gnus-server-server-name        0.71  1  1
 4. gnus-server-kill-server        0.71
 5. gnus-server-close-server       0.71

underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: fun-names
@ 2024-08-16 11:12 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2024-08-16 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Why are my private mails to you about this ending up here all
of a sudden?

Here are the headers, why does this happen?

From: Emanuel Berg <...>
To: Philip Kaludercic <...>
Subject: fun-names
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2024 00:23:21 +0200

--

@ 2024-09-01 11:50   ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2024-09-01 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

> Why are my private mails to you about this ending up here all
> of a sudden?
>
> Here are the headers, why does this happen?

> From: Emanuel Berg <...>
> To: Philip Kaludercic <...>
I see
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: fun-names
@ 2024-09-03  3:48     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2024-09-03  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:

>> Why are my private mails to you about this ending up here
>> all of a sudden?
>>
>> Here are the headers, why does this happen?
>>
>> From: Emanuel Berg <...>
>> To: Philip Kaludercic <...>
>
> I see
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Again, the original headers were:

From: Emanuel Berg <...>
To: Philip Kaludercic <...>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2024 00:23:21 +0200

--

@ 2024-09-03 16:35       ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-09-03 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

> Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
>
>>> Why are my private mails to you about this ending up here
>>> all of a sudden?
>>>
>>> Here are the headers, why does this happen?
>>>
>>> From: Emanuel Berg <...>
>>> To: Philip Kaludercic <...>
>>
>> I see
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Again, the original headers were:

I resent the message because I didn't have the time to respond to it at
the time (I am trying to address my backlog in chronological order).
That way someone else could comment on your questions in the mean time.

It would _really_ just be the easiest for everyone if you could do a
wide reply when responding to messages on the list.

--
	Philip Kaludercic on peregrine

* Re: fun-names
@ 2024-09-05  2:49         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2024-09-05  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Philip Kaludercic

Philip Kaludercic wrote:

>>> I see Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> Again, the original headers were:
>
> I resent the message because I didn't have the time to
> respond to it at the time (I am trying to address my backlog
> in chronological order). That way someone else could comment
> on your questions in the mean time.

Well, sure, you can do that, but now it looked like _I_ sent
them to the list. I was unaware such a thing was possible BTW.

If someone mails me, how can I make it look like that person
sent it to some mailing list? How is that even possible?

But anyway, in such cases it is better to write "Mr ZZZ has
sent me the following material, I post it here for everyone's
viewing pleasure" or just forward if in a real rush.

> It would _really_ just be the easiest for everyone if you
> could do a wide reply when responding to messages on
> the list.

Uhm, what has that got to do with it?

But actually it's no problem at all, I'll remember to CC you.

--

@ 2024-09-05  3:04         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2024-09-05  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Philip Kaludercic

Philip Kaludercic wrote:

>>> I see
>>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> Again, the original headers were:
>
> I resent the message because I didn't have the time to
> respond to it at the time (I am trying to address my backlog
> in chronological order). That way someone else could comment
> on your questions in the mean time.

It seems not a lot of such comments have arrived :)

No, as for fun-names.el, if you don't want to add it to GNU
ELPA, and I am not personally gonna be involved adding it to
core Emacs `apropos', and maybe no one else will either - not
right now anyway - the situation is a little bit deadlocked,
so maybe we should just drop the whole thing?

If something new happens, maybe we can reopen the case :)

--

@ 2024-09-08  9:33           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2024-09-08  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> If someone mails me, how can I make it look like that person
> sent it to some mailing list?

I got a mail explaining this:

  It's called a bounce. There is a protocol for that, which
  headers to write and so on. Mutt has a command for it.

  Otherwise email works a old style letters: Nothing prevents
  you from addressing a letter to me and claiming to be "Queen
  Elisabeth".

  Most commercial email servers nowadays usually hinder people
  from doing that, to counter spam.

OK!