* License updating
@ 2006-09-15 14:29 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-09-15 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Many copies of the GNU GPL need updating.  (We have made small changes
such as reflecting renaming the "Library GPL" to the "Lesser GPL", and
the FSF's address.)  Could someone please take care of this?

Please make them follow the canonical text in http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html.

./etc/COPYING:18:the GNU Library General Public License instead.)  You can apply it to
./info/COPYING:18:the GNU Library General Public License instead.)  You can apply it to
./info/emacs-5:6335:the GNU Library General Public License instead.)  You can apply it to
./info/emacs-5:6670:GNU Library General Public License instead of this License.
./info/mh-e-1:6472:the GNU Library General Public License instead.)  You can apply it to
./info/mh-e-1:6807:GNU Library General Public License instead of this License.
./info/calc-1:103:the GNU Library General Public License instead.)  You can apply it to
./info/calc-1:435:GNU Library General Public License instead of this License.
./info/elisp-9:1499:the GNU Library General Public License instead.)  You can apply it to
./info/elisp-9:1835:GNU Lesser General Public License instead of this License.
./lisp/COPYING:18:the GNU Library General Public License instead.)  You can apply it to
./lispref/gpl.texi:26:the GNU Library General Public License instead.)  You can apply it to
./man/calc.texi:206:the GNU Library General Public License instead.)  You can apply it to
./man/emacs.texi:1199:the GNU Library General Public License instead.)  You can apply it to
./man/mh-e.texi:9291:the GNU Library General Public License instead.)  You can apply it to
./src/COPYING:18:the GNU Library General Public License instead.)  You can apply it to
./COPYING:18:the GNU Library General Public License instead.)  You can apply it to
./leim/COPYING:18:the GNU Library General Public License instead.)  You can apply it to
./lib-src/COPYING:18:the GNU Library General Public License instead.)  You can apply it to
./lwlib/COPYING:18:the GNU Library General Public License instead.)  You can apply it to
./mac/COPYING:18:the GNU Library General Public License instead.)  You can apply it to
./msdos/COPYING:18:the GNU Library General Public License instead.)  You can apply it to
./nt/COPYING:18:the GNU Library General Public License instead.)  You can apply it to

* Re: License updating
@ 2006-09-15 17:47 ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2006-09-15 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: belanger

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Many copies of the GNU GPL need updating.  (We have made small changes
> such as reflecting renaming the "Library GPL" to the "Lesser GPL", and
> the FSF's address.)  Could someone please take care of this?

Sure; done.

> Please make them follow the canonical text in http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html.

These I simply replaced with the gpl.txt from the above link:
> ./etc/COPYING
> ./info/COPYING
> ./lisp/COPYING
> ./src/COPYING
> ./COPYING
> ./leim/COPYING
> ./lib-src/COPYING
> ./lwlib/COPYING
> ./mac/COPYING
> ./msdos/COPYING
> ./nt/COPYING

These I didn't touch; they should be corrected when they're
regenerated:
> ./info/emacs-5
> ./info/elisp-9
> ./info/mh-e-1
> ./info/calc-1

These I fixed up:
> ./lispref/gpl.texi
> ./man/calc.texi
> ./man/emacs.texi
> ./man/mh-e.texi

By the way, the gpl.texi from the above link has the line:
  Gnomovision version 69, Copyright (C) 19@var{yy} @var{name of author}
To make it match gpl.txt, I used "@var{yyyy}" instead of "19@var{yy}".
(gpl.txt uses "year" instead of "yyyy", but gpl.texi consistently
 replaced "year" by "@var{yy..}".)

Jay

* Re: License updating
@ 2006-09-16 19:04   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-09-16 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: belanger, emacs-devel

    By the way, the gpl.texi from the above link has the line:
      Gnomovision version 69, Copyright (C) 19@var{yy} @var{name of author}
    To make it match gpl.txt, I used "@var{yyyy}" instead of "19@var{yy}".

Thanks.  I changed it to @var{year} in http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html.

Would you please update FOR-RELEASE for the tasks you've taken care of?
Some of your words are not 100% clear, and I would rather avoid the chance
of misunderstanding.

* Re: License updating
@ 2006-09-16 20:14     ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2006-09-16 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: belanger

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
> Would you please update FOR-RELEASE for the tasks you've taken care of?
> Some of your words are not 100% clear, and I would rather avoid the chance
> of misunderstanding.

Sure, and I'll try to be clearer in the future.
Some of the files on the list of files whose license need updating
were info files which aren't in CVS since they are generated by
texinfo files.  I mentioned I didn't do anything to those files, and I
probably didn't say it very clearly.  I did remove mention of them from
FOR-RELEASE, though.

Jay

* Re: License updating
@ 2006-09-17 21:03       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-09-17 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: belanger, emacs-devel

    Some of the files on the list of files whose license need updating
    were info files which aren't in CVS since they are generated by
    texinfo files.  I mentioned I didn't do anything to those files, and I
    probably didn't say it very clearly.  I did remove mention of them from
    FOR-RELEASE, though.

That is the right thing.
Thanks.

It looks like we still need someone to relicense a few files
in src from LGPL to GPL.