* Mac (Leopard) story
@ 2008-06-16 11:59 Paul Michael Reilly
From: Paul Michael Reilly @ 2008-06-16 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I see from the NEWS file that Mac Carbon is no longer supported and that
there is a placeholder for a replacement story.

Having recently acquired a Mac with Leopard installed that only has a
terminal version of Emacs I immediately proceeded to download the Xcode
3.0 development tools and configured Emacs to build from the CVS
sources.  The only breakage I encountered was missing graphics libraries
(jpeg, gif and tiff --- can anyone give me a decent reference on how to
get these libraries easily installed since the fink and
darwinports/macports sites didn't do the trick for me).  I passed on the
graphics libraries for now and Emacs built and installed nicely, sort
of.  It appears to be an X11 application meaning I get the X11 menu in
the top menu bar where I kind of expected the Emacs menu bar to be.  Is
anyone working on making Emacs on the Mac (Leopard) a first class
citizen?  Not that I'm volunteering ... so many projects, so little
time.  Just curious.

-pmr

* Re: Mac (Leopard) story
@ 2008-06-16 14:38 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-06-16 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Michael Reilly; +Cc: emacs-devel

Paul Michael Reilly <pmr@pajato.com> writes:

> I see from the NEWS file that Mac Carbon is no longer supported and
> that there is a placeholder for a replacement story.
>
> Having recently acquired a Mac with Leopard installed that only has a
> terminal version of Emacs I immediately proceeded to download the
> Xcode 3.0 development tools and configured Emacs to build from the CVS
> sources.  The only breakage I encountered was missing graphics
> libraries (jpeg, gif and tiff --- can anyone give me a decent
> reference on how to get these libraries easily installed since the
> fink and darwinports/macports sites didn't do the trick for me).  I
> passed on the graphics libraries for now and Emacs built and installed
> nicely, sort of.  It appears to be an X11 application meaning I get
> the X11 menu in the top menu bar where I kind of expected the Emacs
> menu bar to be.  Is anyone working on making Emacs on the Mac
> (Leopard) a first class citizen?  Not that I'm volunteering ... so
> many projects, so little time.  Just curious.

See the discussion of the soon-to-be-merged NextStep/Cocoa port:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-06/msg00179.html