* HTML and URL escaping functions
@ 2010-06-13 19:26 Aaron Maxwell
From: Aaron Maxwell @ 2010-06-13 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

I wrote a few functions for escaping text with HTML entities, and back; and
for quoting strings for inclusion in HTTP URLs, and back.  The code is here:

http://gist.github.com/436913

Examples (there are equivalents that work on regions too):
; (html-escape-str "<whoah> nelly")
; "&lt;whoah&gt; nelly"
; (html-unescape-str "&lt;whoah&gt; nelly")
; "<whoah> nelly"
; (url-quote-str "ab/c de/f")
; "ab/c%20de/f"
; (url-unquote-str "ab/c%20de/f")
; "ab/c de/f"

It needs some work, but is probably far enough along to be useful.

Do you know if this exists already, in some free software library?  I haven't
been able to find equivalents anywhere.  I partly wrote this to practice
elisp, so it's okay if this is reinventing a wheel.  If not, I'd like to
clean it up so others can use it.

Thanks,
Aaron

--
Aaron Maxwell
http://redsymbol.net/

* Re: HTML and URL escaping functions
@ 2010-06-13 19:31 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-06-13 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Maxwell; +Cc: emacs-devel

2010/6/13 Aaron Maxwell <amax@redsymbol.net>:
> Hi all,
>
> I wrote a few functions for escaping text with HTML entities, and back; and
> for quoting strings for inclusion in HTTP URLs, and back.  The code is here:
>
> http://gist.github.com/436913
>
> Examples (there are equivalents that work on regions too):
> ; (html-escape-str "<whoah> nelly")
> ; "&lt;whoah&gt; nelly"
> ; (html-unescape-str "&lt;whoah&gt; nelly")
> ; "<whoah> nelly"
> ; (url-quote-str "ab/c de/f")
> ; "ab/c%20de/f"
> ; (url-unquote-str "ab/c%20de/f")
> ; "ab/c de/f"
>
> It needs some work, but is probably far enough along to be useful.
>
> Do you know if this exists already, in some free software library?  I haven't
> been able to find equivalents anywhere.  I partly wrote this to practice
> elisp, so it's okay if this is reinventing a wheel.  If not, I'd like to
> clean it up so others can use it.
>
> Thanks,
> Aaron
>
> --
> Aaron Maxwell
> http://redsymbol.net/

About the HTML entities: I'm not sure how you implemented it, but e.g.
sgml-mode.el has `sgml-char-names' (along with sgml-name-8bit-mode)
and I'm pretty sure nxhtml has something for it as well. I don't know
about the "URL quoting".

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: HTML and URL escaping functions
@ 2010-06-14 12:38 ` Mark A. Hershberger
From: Mark A. Hershberger @ 2010-06-14 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Aaron Maxwell

Aaron Maxwell <amax@redsymbol.net> writes:

> ; (url-quote-str "ab/c de/f")
> ; "ab/c%20de/f"
> ; (url-unquote-str "ab/c%20de/f")
> ; "ab/c de/f"

Check out url-hexify-string in mediawiki-el
<http://launchpad.net/mediawiki-el>  I'm planning on adding the url-*
functions there to Emacs' url.el libraries soon.

For HTML-escaping a string, see xml.el or nxml.el.

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/

Embrace Ignorance.  Just don't get too attached.

* Re: HTML and URL escaping functions
@ 2010-06-15 15:39   ` Aaron Maxwell
From: Aaron Maxwell @ 2010-06-15 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sunday 13 June 2010 12:31:17 pm you wrote:
> About the HTML entities: I'm not sure how you implemented it, but e.g.
> sgml-mode.el has `sgml-char-names' (along with sgml-name-8bit-mode)
> and I'm pretty sure nxhtml has something for it as well. I don't know
> about the "URL quoting".

Thanks, wasn't familiar with that (it's actually named sgml-name-char).

One difference I see is that sgml-name-char works on a single character, while
html-escape-region finds all non-html-safe characters in a region, and
escapes them.

I couldn't find anything in nxml, anyone know of a specific command or
function?

Cheers,
Aaron

--

@ 2010-06-15 15:45   ` Aaron Maxwell
From: Aaron Maxwell @ 2010-06-15 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Monday 14 June 2010 05:38:31 am Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> Aaron Maxwell <amax@redsymbol.net> writes:
> > ; (url-quote-str "ab/c de/f")
> > ; "ab/c%20de/f"
> > ; (url-unquote-str "ab/c%20de/f")
> > ; "ab/c de/f"
>
> Check out url-hexify-string in mediawiki-el
> <http://launchpad.net/mediawiki-el>  I'm planning on adding the url-*
> functions there to Emacs' url.el libraries soon.

url-hexify-string, right?  Good, I see that.  Succinct implementation too.

Cheers,
Aaron

--

@ 2010-06-15 17:37     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-06-15 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Maxwell; +Cc: emacs-devel

> url-hexify-string, right?  Good, I see that.  Succinct implementation too.

There's already an url-hexify-string in lisp/url/url-util.el.

* Re: HTML and URL escaping functions
@ 2010-06-15 21:37     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2010-06-15 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Maxwell; +Cc: emacs-devel, Deniz Dogan

> One difference I see is that sgml-name-char works on a single
> character, while html-escape-region finds all non-html-safe characters
> in a region, and escapes them.

And `sgml-quote'.

> I couldn't find anything in nxml, anyone know of a specific command or
> function?

`rng-escape-string'.

--
Juri Linkov