* Should we use `symbol' or 'symbol' in Emacs change logs?
@ 2014-05-29 17:10 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-05-29 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Achim Gratz

Achim pointed to a recent change about quotes in the GNU coding
standards, and suggests that the change justifies using 'symbol'
instead of `symbol' in Emacs change logs.

http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#index-left-quote

To me, this is about the way GNU programs output the quote char,
not about conventions for symbols used within the program, so my
reading is that Emacs change logs should stick on using `symbol'
rather than 'symbol'.

This seems to be confirmed by the fact that lisp-mode.el still
highlight `symbol' with `font-lock-constant-face'.

Am I reading it wrong or am I correct that there is no change
in Emacs policy regarding the quotation of symbols in change logs
(and in docstrings)?

 Bastien