* Copyright assignment for Emacs sufficient for Emms?
@ 2016-07-23 15:33 Yoni Rabkin
From: Yoni Rabkin @ 2016-07-23 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

I'm the current maintainer of GNU Emms, the Emacs Multimedia System,
(https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emms/).

I would like to accept patches from a contributor who has already signed
copyright papers with the FSF for past and future changes to Emacs (but
not specifically to Emms.) Are their Emacs assignment sufficient for me
to install their changes, or do I need to ask them to sign paperwork
specifically for Emms?

Note that all past significant contributors to Emms (from before I
became maintainer) have assignments on-file for Emms, Emacs, or
both. Stefan Monnier and I validated as much as in the past because I
requested that Emms be included with Emacs.

* Re: Copyright assignment for Emacs sufficient for Emms?
@ 2016-07-23 17:32 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-07-23 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I would like to accept patches from a contributor who has already signed
> copyright papers with the FSF for past and future changes to Emacs (but
> not specifically to Emms.) Are their Emacs assignment sufficient for me
> to install their changes, or do I need to ask them to sign paperwork
> specifically for Emms?

> Note that all past significant contributors to Emms (from before I
> became maintainer) have assignments on-file for Emms, Emacs, or
> both. Stefan Monnier and I validated as much as in the past because I
> requested that Emms be included with Emacs.

AFAIK, if your concern is inclusion of EMMS in GNU ELPA, then it's
sufficient that they have signed an assignment that covers Emacs (as
long as they agree to consider their EMMS code as covered by that Emacs
assignment).

* Re: Copyright assignment for Emacs sufficient for Emms?
@ 2016-07-23 19:52 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2016-07-23 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yoni Rabkin; +Cc: emacs-devel

Is EMMS now included in Emacs?  The mails seem to give conflicting
statements about this.

You can ask the contributor to send a message to you and to
assign@gnu.org saying he understands that EMMS is considered part of
Emacs so his papers for Emacs apply to EMMS.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Copyright assignment for Emacs sufficient for Emms?
@ 2016-07-23 21:07   ` Yoni Rabkin
From: Yoni Rabkin @ 2016-07-23 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Is EMMS now included in Emacs?  The mails seem to give conflicting
> statements about this.

No, Emms is not a part of Emacs. I had asked Stefan Monnier permission
to add Emms to Emacs in the past, but I didn't go through with it in the
end.

> You can ask the contributor to send a message to you and to
> assign@gnu.org saying he understands that EMMS is considered part of
> Emacs so his papers for Emacs apply to EMMS.

I will do so. Thank you.

* Re: Copyright assignment for Emacs sufficient for Emms?
@ 2016-07-25  3:21     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2016-07-25  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yoni Rabkin; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > > You can ask the contributor to send a message to you and to
  > > assign@gnu.org saying he understands that EMMS is considered part of
  > > Emacs so his papers for Emacs apply to EMMS.

  > I will do so. Thank you.

If EMMS is really NOT part of Emacs then maybe the advice I gave is bad.
Please ask assign@gnu.org what to do.

--
Dr Richard Stallman