Eli Zaretskii writes: >> From: Alex >> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org >> Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 01:30:16 -0600 >> >> It looks like I could just leave the defgroup definition in >> display-line-numbers.el and the variables in cus-start.el can still use >> it without display-line-numbers.el being preloaded. >> >> Which file would you rather have it in? > > All else being equal, I think having as much as possible in > display-line-numbers.el would be better, as it avoids scattering > related stuff across different files. I agree. Here's an updated patch that includes this as well as other improvements: