Stefan Monnier writes: > Philip Kaludercic [2022-10-19 07:08:34] wrote: >> Stefan Monnier writes: >>>> I have pushed a first draft and it appears to work. It doesn't yet >>>> handle all attribute (such as :doc), but that should be doable when I >>>> find the time. >>> Side note: installing packages from Git (like what you're implementing >>> in the `package+vc` branch) is already one of the functionalities >>> supported by `elpa-admin.el` so it would be good to try and share/reuse >>> that code as much as possible. >> That is only possible insofar I don't have to rely on Git features, >> since package-vc intends to be VC-generic. > > I'm thinking of things like the code that handles `:doc` or `:make`. > These don't care about Git. For something like :make to work, we would also require :renames, right? But if that is added, then the version control could break. > I don't think that the code in `elpa-admin.el` can be used as-is, but it > would be good to try and change them in tandem (maybe by extracting the > common code into some new file?). > >>> Actually part of `elpa-admin.el` might also be helpful for the >>> ELPA-bundling feature. >>> So we should move more of `elpa-admin.el` into Emacs's own code. >> As part of `package-vc' or as a new module? > > I think either way is fine. The whole `elpa-admin.el` contains things > that are irrelevant to Emacs itself, so we'll likely keep a separate > file like that, but the code that's useful for other uses > (i.e. package-vc and/or bundled-ELPA) should be moved out (tho > elpa-admin.el has to be backward compatible to some extent, so we'll > have to keep a "local" copy of whatever is moved to a common file > hosted in emacs.git, at least for a few years). How does this look like: