* Should Info-url-for-node support more than just "elisp" and "emacs" manuals?
@ 2023-11-28 11:50 Mekeor Melire
From: Mekeor Melire @ 2023-11-28 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

In Info-mode, "G" is bound to Info-goto-node-web which opens the
current manual-node in the browser. It uses `Info-url-for-node' to
determine the URL, which only supports "elisp" and "emacs"
manuals.

Are you interested in a patch that adds support for more manuals? We could extend supported docs to include one of these nested sets of software packages:

(1.) All manuals that Emacs contains. I.e. these?: auth autotype
bovine calc ccmode cl dbus dired-x ebrowse ede ediff edt eieio
elisp emacs-gnutls emacs emacs-mime epa erc ert eshell eudc eww
flymake forms gawk gnus htmlfontify idlwave ido info mairix-el
message mh-e newsticker nxml-mode octave-mode org pcl-cvs pgg
rcirc reftex remember sasl sc semantic ses sieve smtpmail speedbar
srecode todo-mode tramp url vhdl-mode viper vip widget wisent
woman.

(2.) Some more or all manuals on gnu.org.

(3.) Some more or all manuals of the GNU project, including those with external websites (or subdomains of gnu.org), e.g. gcc.gnu.org, guix.gnu.org, magit.vc, octave.org.

(4.) Some more manuals of free software with docs generated with "makeinfo".

Yesterday, I wrote a solution for (3.) in my personal Emacs configuration, using an advice for Info-url-for-node. It's attached inline: